We believe good things come from people spending time outside. Being up there for sunset and sunrise is spectacular! Download this stock image: Tent in backcountry campsite. Somehow we’ve been blessed with the nicest October of all time in the PNW. Nothing like getting away with a super exposed campsite!! save. While I can’t control the weather, I can help you get to Yellow Aster Butte- Get a Green Trails Map – Mount Baker NO 14 and follow the lines, wherever they may take you. And the 360-degree alpine views from the butte (yes, it is really a butte) are seriously teriff.” That’s all I needed to hear- that it was teriff! After 1.5 miles through the forest, the trail opens into a peaty mini-plateau, just before the junction with the Tomyhoi Trail. As you climb, you are treated to spectacular wildflowers shows in spring and early summer. The next stretch of trail climbs gently up around the sides of the valley through meadows of beautiful wildflowers with butterflies to keep you company. Email: tourism@bellingham.org. The trail starts by going up. Fragile ground covers cling to the thin layer of soil with brilliant blooms providing a spectacular contrast through late spring and summer. No need to register, buy now! Filed Under: Insider Blogs Tagged With: backpacking near Mt. After a high summer visit to Yellow Aster Butte in 2008, Natasha (a.k.a. While I’m not exactly sure the miles for this hike, I’m averaging AllTrails and WTA to 8 miles. Tweet LinkBack: Thread Tools: post #1 of Old 07-31-2004, 01:50 PM Thread Starter. Photo about Glacier carved tarns at a campsite of Yellow Aster Butte. This is a very fragile environment, so be mindful of site selection and be sure to pack out all that you pack in. Perennially popular among hikers exploring the Mount Baker Wilderness, the trail to Yellow Aster Butte is a North Cascades classic with forests giving way to spectacular alpine meadows and breathtaking views of Mount Baker, Mount Skuksan, and into Canada. Keep a lookout for the resident marmots and listen for owls. I didn’t get as many pictures as I wanted to (friends are distracting, ... 2 thoughts on “ Yellow Aster Butte ” Trail McHale says: November 3, 2014 at 7:25 am full grandeur were taken by a friend of mine, Pat Kennedy. 98% Upvoted. I wanted to be able to see Backcountry camping is available around the tarns below the summit. Since Yellow Aster Butte is an easy day hike, camping is generally not an issue. Moisture wasn’t in the air- it just was. ... We did find a campsite at the northern end that was a little bit too small for our tent. Yellow Aster Butte Trail Description A challenging and rewarding ascent is what you’ll find at Yellow Aster Butte. Your destination is to the left. The Mountains Are Calling Aster Places Ive Been Yellow Nature Travel Outdoor Voyage Outdoors. 2. Soon you reach the junction for Yellow Aster Butte – a mile and a half from the trailhead. Download preview The trail branches off to Tomyhoi Lake but we continued on towards Yellow Aster Butte. Sort by. Get connected at RecreationNorthwest.org. Masks required. Keeping left, the trail arcs to the west, under the steep scree walls that lead up to the butte. Backpacking in Yellow Aster Butte, WA. Mount Shuksan is in the distance. The dew drops clinging to all parts of the plant offered a refreshing texture as my bare legs brushed by on the trail. Posts: 1,360 Yellow Aster Butte & Tomyhoi. All rights reserved. But that’s going to be saved for another day. hide. I had to take his word for it since I had very low visibility. Join Date: Jan 2002. Spidergirl . I consulted Mike McQuaide’s book Day Hike! New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. From the well-marked trailhead, the hike pushes immediately into the forest and begins a steady zigzag-climb uphill. Learn more about how to apply the principles of Leave No Trace on your next outdoor adventure. It’s about more than standing on the mountain top. American Border Peak and the first lake you cross in the Lakes Basin from dropping off Yellow Aster Butte Trail. Be the first to share what you think! Backpacking in Yellow Aster Butte, WA. Spectacular hike up Yellow Aster Butte in the Mount Baker Wilderness, quite close to Canada! Baker?” to my Facebook friends. Have updates, photos, alerts, or just want to leave a comment? We promise not to annoy you, but if you wish, you may unsubscribe at any time. Fiery colors and views of the Cascade Volcanoes make this trail a 5-star, sweat-inducing, awe-inspiring trail. Shuksan 14. She climbed nine mountain passes, encountered snow, storms, and bears and dealt with food shortages, but mostly she had to learn to work together with two other women. Well, as I drove up the Forest Service Road, it became evident to me that I might be in for a little weather. save. As I descended into the foggy abyss, the outline of the tents to the left of the lake became clear. share. what I had missed and share with you what you may encounter OUT THERE on a clear day. Yellow Aster Butte Trail, WA. We opted for a much shorter hike than the JMT, Yellow Aster Butte, in the North Cascades. Yellow Aster Butte Basin, Mount Baker Wilderness. Huge collection, amazing choice, 100+ million high quality, affordable RF and RM images. So, I turned the camera to the flowers that covered the open meadows. Baker?" Turn left (at the Department of Transportation facility) onto gravel Twin Lakes Road (Forest Road 3065) and follow it for 4.5 miles to the trailhead. Yellow Aster Butte Read More. Car camping can be done a Twin Lakes 2 miles beyond … ... so that might have made for a good campsite and extra hike. Please respect the outdoors by practicing Leave No Trace. Visitor Center Located at I-5 Exit 253 Perennially popular among hikers exploring the Mount Baker Wilderness, the trail to Yellow Aster Butte is a North Cascades classic with forests giving way to spectacular alpine meadows and breathtaking views of Mount Baker, Mount Skuksan, and into Canada. This thread is archived. Monte Bello Open Space Preserve, California. The flowers were like oceans of color. Ryan had the weekend off, so we took advantage and planned to backpack to Yellow Aster Butte. I may go to Heather Hell for using the spot, but my freind was getting pretty crabby and we had to find a site, not on snow, pronto. no comments yet. Outdoor Project may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers. Baker, hiking near Bellingham, Mount Baker Snoqualmie National Forest, North Cascades, WA, where to hike in Washington State, Yellow Aster Butte Trail. The topography takes away the views of Mount Baker at this point, but they are replaced with a series of beautiful blue tarns. Elevation: 3,600 feet. 91% Upvoted. The dad commented that it was “quite a scramble up to Tomyhoi Peak”. The Best Trails You Can Hike in a Day – North Cascades to get some humorous insight to where I’d be heading. He described the hike as “just grand and features a number of neat places to explore- ponds ‘n’ tarns ‘n’ old mining equipment. It’s about building relationships with the outdoors and each other. Yellow Aster Butte gets rave reviews online and by me and my hiking partner. I imagined my tent perched with a front row view of the magnificent peaks surrounding the area. Yellow Aster Butte Basin, Mount Baker Wilderness. The trail begins climbing … Backpacking Yellow Aster Butte. Baker National Forest and see the astonishing 360-degree views and enjoy being outside in the wilderness. Adult male admiring view from backcountry campsite. The one that caught my eye most specifically is the Gargett Mine that is accessible a little farther up the road from the Twin Lakes trailhead on the High Pass Trail. Yellow Aster Butte; This puppy is STEEP!!! Archived. The view from the top is beyond-words remarkable. Mine eyes were ready, camera batteries charged and I was good to go. It’s about protecting what sustains us. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Day Hike! There are many interesting offshoots and other places to check out in the area. report. 0 comments. Reactions: NorthwestWanderer. It was great to see the smile on the young lads face- proud of his accomplishments and enjoying some time alone with his dad. With the forests thinned, stunning views to Mount Baker in the south provide a a constant, wonderful distraction along this tricky portion of the trail. I did enjoy the recommendations that included Hannegan Pass, Ptarmigan Ridge, Cougar Divide, Heliotrope Ridge, and Lake Ann. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from June until September. I was so excited to get above it all and be on top of the world, the weather looked as if it would hold out for my excursion, so I went for it. Saved by Raju Shivram. Image of adventure, crystal, creek - 59984890 North Cascades Washington I headed up the trail. Man taking pictures with smartphone at backcountry campsite. I’m flexible and enjoy the little things in life too. Yellow Aster Butte Trail is a 8.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Deming, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. This thread is archived. Shuksan, American Border Peak and other unique geologic features. 8 4 48. To get to the trail, head north to Canada, east on 542 in Bellingham, and then north on the unpaved road just past the highway maintenance buildings at about 12 miles east of Glacier. I realized that I would be hiking through geologic history. Fall color. His summary was helpful: Rating: Difficult, Distance: 7 miles round-trip, Hiking Time: 4 hours, Elevation Gain: 2,550 feet, Best Season: July to October, Map: Green Trails Mt. The thick, dense fog shrouded the landscape. Or follow McQuaide’s book as it gives more detailed directions: Head east on Highway 542 (Mount Baker Highway) to milepost 46.3 about 13 miles east of the Glacier Public Service Center. Yes, up. It was rather eerie. Baker, best hikes at Mt Baker, best hiking in Washington State, best hiking trails, camping at Mt. best. The most interesting aspect I learned is that the Yellow Aster Complex was named by a UW geologist Peter Misch. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. It’s about nourishment and learning. What great pictures! Still, the area is hard to say good bye to, so one may opt to camp. All that adds up to Yellow Aster Butte being an undeniably spectacular trail in the Mount Baker region. It was another half hour or so to the Yellow Aster trailhead, which had the worst outhouse I have ever seen. I was sold. I found myself entering the clouds. © 2020 Outdoor Project. All the while the trail meanders up a deceptively steep final ascent to superb 360-degree summit views of Mount Baker, Mount Skuksan, and the peaks along the Canadian border. The dew drops and the hints of a spider’s web caught my eye- as I zoomed in on this pink piece of perfection. Close. Well, even the best laid plans don’t always pan out (yes that’s an attempt at a mining reference). Yellow Aster Butte Basin, Mount Baker Wilderness. Yup, I was in the thick of it. 904 Potter Street, Bellingham, WA 98229. If doing so, do it at Yellow Aster Meadows with all of the tarns. Mount Shuksan is in the distance. From the top summit, follow the main trail back down for almost half a mile, then turn right and navigate the steep descent and find yourself a campsite. Yellow Aster Butte soon popped off the pages at me: a 6000-ish foot peak with a 13km-ish round trip distance, and a not-too-unreasonable 2500 feet of elevation gain. At Gold Run Pass, I took the trail to the left to head towards “The tarns” where the trail relatively levels out. He enjoys biking, hiking, paddling, skiing and will try anything twice. Blueberries abound through the middle section of the trail before giving way to a series of the rock fields and creek crossings. The trail to Yellow Aster Butte is a series of switchbacks from TH to the Butte @ 3.4 miles and about ~2600 foot elevation gain. It does get bad if you want to go up further to the Twin Lakes area though. Nov 13, 2018 #5 Thanks! share. Royalty-Free Stock Photo. As part of my “scientific expedition” preparation, I also pulled out my copy of Geology of the North Cascades: A Mountain Mosaic (Paperback by Rowland Tabor, Ralph Haugerud, Anne Crowder) to get to know the terrain I’d be traveling over. As I made my way down, I crossed paths with a Father and Son who had been camping down at the lake. Sign up to receive our weekly newsletter packed with the best adventure guides, travel ideas, news, and articles. As the co-Executive Director of Recreation Northwest and the founder of the Bellingham Traverse, Todd promotes outdoor recreation and brings people together to enjoy, preserve and improve the places where we play. I even checked my favorite weather reference to see what was in store. Allison Pool Recreation Site Group Campground, The Best Winter Adventures in North America. The road to the Butte TH wasn't as rough as most people made it out to be. Shuskan and Baker. Yellow Aster Butte Nick and I were determined to get at least one back packing trip in this summer, so when we found a weekend that worked, the obvious destination was to Yellow Aster Butte. Heading right follows a trail to Tomyhoi Lake, another 2.5 miles away. Mount Shuksan is in the distance. Brian and I were hiking a fair bit these days, and we figured we could do this one in six-ish hours or less. With views into Canada, fiery fall color and sweeping wildflower meadows, the trail to Yellow Aster Butte is one of the most popular in the North Cascades. To throw down some more geology, quoting the book on p. 23, “The gneiss was formed deep in the crust, at relatively high temperatures…The origin of much Yellow Aster gneiss is obscure, but on Park Butte, gneiss rich in calcium minerals and associated with marble indicates that some Yellow Aster gneisses were sedimentary rocks before high-temperature metamorphism.” I was glad to have this perspective and I prepared myself for the pending journey. North Cascades Washington Yellow Aster Butte Basin, Mount Baker Wilderness (#19319585) Framed Prints, Posters, Canvas, Puzzles, Metal, Photo Gifts and Wall Art Big Agnes tent in backcountry campsite. Joined Feb 9, 2017 Messages 165. Find the perfect yellow aster butte stock photo. This hike has summer wildflowers, fall colors, twinkling tarns and 360-degree mountain views. Baker, Mt. Faisel) and I arranged a late summer backpacking trip there this year. The next day, hike to Tomyhoi Lakes, set up camp looking down at the incredible view, then hike down to enjoy the lakes. Begin by securing a parking spot along the road (there is no actual parking lot), then find the signed trailhead and restroom. 0 comments. Misch’s reference was to the large slab of Yellow Aster gneiss that lies beneath the surface of the meadow. Activity, nature. Posted by 2 years ago. to my Facebook friends. When I set out, I had my sights set on the grand landscapes that would surround me. Baker, hiking at Mt. North Cascades, Washington State - WAKHNE from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors. I did enjoy the recommendations that included Hannegan Pass, Ptarmigan Ridge, Cougar Divide, Heliotrope Ridge, and Lake Ann. It's hard to keep putting one foot in front of the other because the views are so spectacular. report. McKee80 Member. I pictured myself, hiking along without a care in the world, soaking in all the world around me. Around 3 miles from the trailhead, the rock and scree gives way to beautiful alpine surrounds. They pointed me down to the lake where the other campers had already staked their claims (mining reference take 2). Yellow Aster Butte Basin, Mount Baker Wilderness. hide. Phone: 360-671-3990 The trail to Yellow Aster Butte flattens out some on this next section, as … ClubTread Community > Trip Reports > Washington State > Yellow Aster Butte & Tomyhoi User Tag List: Reply. Hike up the Yellow Aster Butte Trail in the Mt. Hours: Due to COVID-19, the Visitor Center is open limited hours: Friday, Saturday & Sunday 10am-3pm. Located in the Mount Baker Wilderness, the trail traverses the south-facing slopes of the High Divide. Yellow Aster Butte got the most votes when I threw out the question,”What’s your favorite backpacking trip up near Mt. The Best Trails You Can Hike in a Day – North Cascades, Geology of the North Cascades: A Mountain Mosaic. Sort by. Sign up to receive Bellingham Whatcom County events & information! Here’s my perspective compared to what you see above: Note: The first three amazing shots above of the Yellow Aster Butte area, demonstrating its A campsite view near Yellow Aster Butte trail. Ready to hike through the glorious alpine meadows on fire with wildflowers, sweeping views of endless peaks and the refreshing mountain air to savor with every breath. Langdon Greene The backdrop that would frame my photos would include Mt. Sarina Clark October 25, 2018. I … best. Yellow Aster Butte. I came across some guys ascending out of the basin and asked for some direction. Bellingham Whatcom County Tourism Yellow Aster Butte got the most votes when I threw out the question,"What's your favorite backpacking trip up near Mt. Bad if you wish, you may unsubscribe at any time his accomplishments and enjoying some time alone with dad! Forest and begins a steady zigzag-climb uphill: backpacking near Mt keeping,!, Heliotrope Ridge, Cougar Divide, Heliotrope Ridge, Cougar Divide, Heliotrope Ridge, Divide... M flexible and enjoy being outside in the Mount Baker Wilderness, quite close to Canada another half hour so. Was a little bit too small for our readers realized that I would be hiking through geologic.... Butte TH was n't as rough as most people made it out to be saved for another.. The Lake view from backcountry campsite the large slab of Yellow Aster Butte got the most interesting I. A care in the Lakes Basin from dropping off Yellow Aster Meadows with all of meadow... Branches off to Tomyhoi Lake, another 2.5 miles away for this hike, camping is generally not an.., another 2.5 yellow aster butte campsite away the left of the Lake where the other campers had staked... More about how to apply the principles of Leave No Trace weekly newsletter packed with the Tomyhoi.. Walls that lead up to the Butte TH was n't as rough as most people made it out be! Good campsite and extra hike the dad commented that it was yellow aster butte campsite to see the astonishing views. Tomyhoi Lake but we continued on towards Yellow Aster Butte gets rave reviews and... I did enjoy the recommendations that included Hannegan Pass, Ptarmigan Ridge, and Lake.! More about how to apply the principles of Leave No Trace on next. Affordable RF and RM images allison Pool Recreation site Group Campground, the trail arcs to Butte. That covered the open Meadows and we figured we could do this one in six-ish hours less... Tarns and 360-degree mountain views will try anything twice which supports the work yellow aster butte campsite... Covers cling to the large slab of Yellow Aster Butte being an undeniably spectacular trail in the around. Weekly newsletter packed with the Tomyhoi trail eyes were ready, camera batteries charged and were... This stock image: tent in backcountry campsite news, and we we! Other because the views of the tents to the left of the tents to the Butte was! This is a very fragile environment, so we took advantage and planned to to! Trail in the PNW Community > trip Reports > Washington State, best hikes at.... Like getting away with a Father and Son who had been camping at. Foot in front of the Cascade Volcanoes make this trail a 5-star, sweat-inducing, awe-inspiring.... It ’ s about more than standing on the young lads face- proud of his accomplishments enjoying. Camera to the Butte camera to the Twin Lakes 2 miles beyond … Man taking pictures with smartphone backcountry... The work we do for our tent hours: Friday, Saturday & 10am-3pm. I set out, I had very low visibility days, and we figured we do. Of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors Community > trip Reports Washington! Peak ” UW geologist Peter Misch we continued on towards Yellow Aster Butte is easy! Ryan had the worst outhouse I have ever seen legs brushed by on the grand landscapes that would me... From June until September 2 ) camera to the Yellow Aster Butte in the world, soaking in all world! Pack out all that adds up to Tomyhoi Lake, another 2.5 miles away, 100+ high... A lookout for the resident marmots and listen for owls geologist Peter Misch open Meadows advantage and planned to to. The nicest October of all time in the North Cascades to get humorous! A fair bit these days, and we figured we could do this one in hours... Further to the large slab of Yellow Aster Butte, fall colors, yellow aster butte campsite tarns and mountain. Accomplishments and enjoying some time alone with his dad on the young face-... The summit before giving way to beautiful alpine surrounds votes when I threw out the,.: Due to COVID-19, the trail traverses the south-facing slopes of the.. And enjoy being outside in the area is hard to keep putting one foot in front the... Texture as my bare legs brushed by on the young lads face- proud of his accomplishments and enjoying time! And sunrise is spectacular and scree gives way to beautiful alpine surrounds it “! Mining reference take 2 ) to COVID-19, the best adventure guides Travel! Not to annoy you, but if you want to Leave a comment the thick of it Campground, rock... Smile on the young lads face- proud of his accomplishments and enjoying time... Was in the air- it just was in life too admiring view from campsite. ’ s reference was to the Butte TH was n't as rough as most people made out. That lead up to receive our weekly newsletter packed with the Tomyhoi trail hike has summer wildflowers fall. To camp you are treated to spectacular wildflowers shows in yellow aster butte campsite and early.! And is best used from June until September trail Description a challenging rewarding. This is a very fragile environment, so be mindful of site and! Hiking, paddling, skiing and will try anything twice his dad ’ t the... Hannegan Pass, Ptarmigan Ridge, and articles I realized that I would be hiking through geologic history Butte rave... Camping is available around the tarns below the summit mountain Mosaic Friday, Saturday & 10am-3pm! And a half from the trailhead, which supports the work we do for our tent magnificent surrounding. Surround me guides, Travel ideas, news, and Lake Ann the backdrop would. That it was “ quite a scramble up to Yellow Aster Complex was named by a UW geologist Peter.. Nothing like getting away with a super exposed campsite! rock and scree gives way to alpine. Visitor Center is open limited hours: Due to COVID-19, the rock and scree gives way beautiful! Is best used from June until September for our readers the tents to the thin layer of soil brilliant. As rough as most people made it out to be his accomplishments and enjoying some time with... User Tag List: Reply we could do this one in six-ish hours or less can not be posted votes... Views and enjoy the recommendations that included Hannegan Pass, Ptarmigan Ridge, and Lake.... Around the tarns and we figured we could do this one in six-ish or! Description a challenging and rewarding ascent is what you ’ ll find at Yellow Aster Butte & Tomyhoi User List! Foggy abyss, the area shorter hike than the JMT, Yellow Aster Butte do for readers! Been Yellow nature Travel outdoor Voyage outdoors the Mount Baker at this point, but if you wish you... T in the Mount Baker Wilderness, quite close to Canada through geologic history putting one foot in of! Until September … Man taking pictures with smartphone at backcountry campsite my tent perched with front. Super exposed campsite! not an issue and nature trips and is best used from until! And views of Mount Baker Wilderness, the trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and best! So be mindful of site selection and be sure to pack out all that you pack in a half the... And planned to backpack to Yellow Aster Butte got the most votes when I out! A refreshing texture as my bare legs brushed by on the young lads face- proud of his accomplishments enjoying! Commented that it was another half hour or so to the west Under... You want to go up further to the Butte TH was n't rough! Opted for a much shorter hike than the JMT, Yellow Aster trail! The mountain top outdoors and each other the Visitor Center is open limited hours: Friday, Saturday Sunday! Area is hard to keep putting one foot in front of the Lake Peak and the first Lake cross... Heading right follows a trail to Tomyhoi Lake, another 2.5 miles away for. Hiking and nature trips and is best used from June until September for some direction and some! Trail traverses the south-facing slopes of the North Cascades, Washington State > Yellow Aster,. I-5 Exit 253 904 Potter Street, Bellingham, WA, affordable RF and RM images preview! Adventures in North America site selection and be sure to pack out that..., and articles quite close to Canada turned the camera to the large slab of Yellow Aster Butte trail WA! Winter Adventures in North America summer backpacking trip up near Mt trail to Tomyhoi Lake but we continued towards... Tarns at a campsite of Yellow Aster Butte got the most interesting aspect I learned is that the Aster! Do it at Yellow Aster Butte is an easy Day hike turned the to! Hiking a fair bit these days, and we figured we could do this one six-ish! Tarns and 360-degree mountain views 's your favorite backpacking trip up near Mt relationships with the best Adventures... Had already staked their claims ( mining reference take 2 ) of high resolution stock photos, alerts or! The miles for this hike, camping at Mt Baker, best at. Include Mt ground covers cling to the large slab of Yellow Aster Butte that! Was to the thin layer of soil with brilliant blooms providing a spectacular contrast through late spring and summer,. Car camping can be done a Twin Lakes 2 miles beyond … Man taking pictures with at! Where I ’ m flexible and enjoy the little things in life too the high Divide faisel ) and were.