Best I can get is 950 fps with 125 gr and 6.3 gr Trail Boss. It's stupid quiet in a bolt gun with lighter bullets. In fact, Hodgdon does not list subsonic Trail Boss loads for rifle cartridges with a case larger than the .30-06. The advantages of such loads, the posters type, are low noise and an absence of recoil, and I’m all for that. 1 0 2 0 7 1. Due to increased demand, our estimated shipping time is 15-20 days. And for a subsonic hunting round I use these. Bonus: Trail Boss is the proverbial cat's ass if you're looking for subsonic 110-115gr loads. 4 grains of TB under that little XTP is a hoot from a single shot with a suppressor and a good varmint round inside 100 yards. Max load with trailboss is the amount that fills the case to the base of the bullet. Trailboss won't cycle an AR. I am attempting to work up loads using 150gr. For 220gr loads check out VithaVouri N130- look at post by civilian75 here for details. That indicates these 55-grain bullets are at the ragged edge of stability fired from my Savage’s one-in- 9-inch twist barrel. Powders suitable to attain such a slow velocity are very limited in cartridges such as the .223 Remington, .243, .30-30 and .308 Winchesters and .30-06. If you’re loading subs why do you have to be at max charge? to case size for subsonic loads. The powder was designed primarily for handgun cartridges shooting lead bullets at low velocity. You are using an out of date browser. 300 AAC Blackout Load Data; 30-30 Winchester Load Data; 30/40 Krag Load Data; 308 Marlin Express Load Data; 300 Savage Load Data; 308 Winchester Load Data; 30 Thompson Center Load Data; 30-06 Springfield Load Data; 300 Ruger Compact Magnum (RCM) Load Data; 308 Norma Magnum Load Data; 3 6 8 1. Trailboss is silly quiet in a bolt gun but as stated not enough umph to cycle a semi. At sea level, stability is iffy in a 1 in 12" twist, but a 1 in 10" twist should work. SAAMI Specs show an acceptable range of 1.78-2.260 OAL for the 300 BLK (NOTE: 1.78 is not a safe OAL for every BLK load- the projectile, powder type and powder measure all factor into safe OAL- which is why there is a different value for every recipe) … It is primarily a pistol powder but has some application in rifles. Of course even then the 300 has a lot more punch than any 22LR. Reloader 7 (R7) also has a good reputation for subsonic 208gr and heavier projectiles. M A X I M U M 1. 110: Sierra: RN Pro-Hunter: Lil Gun: 16: 2150: 1129: 18.5: 2400: 1407 #2100: 1.845: 1x8” Rem 7 ½ So I started a search for subsonic loads for a few of my centerfire rifles to see if there was any substance to bullets at subsonic speeds. They have an online resource. I started with 7.0 gr Trail Boss about 80% case fill. I will second the blackout statement. According to the “Sierra Bullets Infinity” ballistics program, the 55-grain bullets at a velocity of 1,000 fps require a rifling twist of at least 10.82-1 to stabilize, so the spin imparted to them by my Savage’s 9-inch twist was enough; however, the spin from a regular one-in-12-inch twist of a .223 Remington is not sufficient. These loads and others were shot with Trail Boss powder in an attempt to develop subsonic velocities (left to right): .30-06, .308 Winchester,.30-30 Winchester, .243 Winchester, .223 Remington. All data in this caliber is subsonic but is not normally tagged with the name subsonic. I pretty much used the minimum charge weights for my five rifle cartridges to keep bullet velocities below 1,100 fps. I am currently working on a subsonic load for a 300 blackout. 2. I have used Red Dot for this, but mainly in smaller cases like 300 Blackout and 30-30. Start with a higher than published subsonic charge and slowly work down. Sierra Jacketed SP BC: 0.338 2.100” OAL SD: 0.226 Sugg Max StartingVelocity Pressure Load Velocity Pressure Powder Grains FPS Grains H110 Lil Gun IMR4227 Enforcer Trail Boss 2.065” min OAL; 2.100 SD: 0.166 2.070” min OAL; 2.100 SD: 0.172 110 gr. Im running a 9.5 Rainier barrel and an Octaine 45 suppressor if that makes any difference. Thank you for your patience. I … I selected Hornady 55-grain FMJ bullets for my .223 Rem. A lighter and shorter bullet, like a 75-grain hollowpoint, would just stabilize in my 10-inch twist barrel. TRAIL BOSS and IMR 4227 are great powders for that. 6.3 gr is what Hodgdon lists for a 115 gr bullet. In a bolt action, I've gone to VV N32C (Tin Star) for everything from 110gr to 160gr subsonic. It does, however, list a velocity of 1,061 fps for Nosler 150-grain Bal-listic Tips with 13.3 grains of Trail Boss from the .30-06. According to my data: 135 SMK's 7gr Trail Boss 1000 FPS Apparently 7 grains of trail boss … Proper twist rate for subsonic velocities was really evident from the poor results with the .243 Winchester shooting 100-grain bullets. It would be worth a check. There has been a lot of chatter on Internet sites lately about centerfire loads that fire bullets at subsonic velocities. ... subs then buy/build a dedicated sub gun. Think you can only shoot subsonic bullets from the 300 Blackout if they weigh more than 200 grains? Loading heavy bullets with these powders, and a few others, lowers velocities even more, but then there’s the matter of suitable rifling twist to stabilize such heavy, long bullets at subsonic speed. In 9mm, most loading data are supersonic. It’s easy to get overpresure and bad consistency. AA1680 probably the most used subsonic powder. Recoil barely bumped the scope’s crosshairs off the aiming circle. That works as a safety factor, too, because it would be next to impossible to load a double charge of Trail Boss. The Hodgdon Powder website (hodgdon.com) lists Trail Boss loads for rifle cartridges. 300 blackout is made for subsonic 30 cal. Thanks guys, Trailboss didn't work the way I thought it would...Abandoning that ship altogether and going with H110. They are really quiet. Something like that would yield better results. Trail Boss, etc. Trail Boss is a very bulky, very fast powder Unless it's compressed I don't think you could get enough into a blackout case to cause excessive pressure, but see the 30% rule as posted above. 13-15 grains of Trailboss will be subsonic or close with the 208 AMAX in .308. In fact, the .223 was a bit easier on my ears, because it lacked the crack of the shock wave of a supersonic bullet. The danger is not over pressure, but rather sticking a bullet in the barrel. Both get great reviews. Hodgdon lists 5.5 grains to 6.4 grains as max, depending upon bullet. They recently published updated and expanded data for the .300 AAC Blackout caliber getting into more subsonic and heavier grain weight data; two areas that are typically lacking for information. Cheerios are about the only thing worse than extruded stick. Avg. Extreme velocity spread was quite high with Sierra 55-grain bullets shot from the .223 Remington. Not all "subsonic" loads are noted as such in the data, because the cartridge is not capable of producing supersonic velocity. Hornady V-Max BC: 0.290 115 gr. CFE BLK 21.1 22.2 23.4 Trail Boss 5.6 Energy/ft.lbs 269 882 977 1077 1182 1292 1407 INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD - USE CAUTION LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED. Any tips or load data is appreciated. Light amounts of relatively fast burning powders intended primarily for handgun cartridges, like 2400, Unique and Red Dot, come close but do not quite generate that velocity level. The report was not much louder than high-velocity .22 LR cartridges. For the sake of argument, let’s say 1,100 fps is the speed of sound, and any bullet flying slower than that is considered subsonic. *Shaded column displays subsonic load data. My 300 Blackout is a Rem 700 bolt gun. Have all 3 but haven't tested Hodgdon or Lovex yet. The twist rates are faster and volume for powder is much less. There has been a lot of chatter on Internet sites lately about centerfire loads that fire bullets at subsonic velocities. I have been loading subsonic for the whisper/300 Blackout forever and having a ball shooting supressed subsonic rounds. I bought some 170 gr round nose 30/30 bullets and a can of Trail Boss that I feel will work nice for subsonic loads. 5.56 is a Stag Arms AR. Hodgdon's receipts are somewhat lacking. So, I recently found 3 jugs of Trail Boss in my reloading cabinet and from what I've heard, it's actually a good 300blk powder. Work up like any unpublished load, and DONT BELIEVE SHIT ON THE INTERNET! The lack of noise was the first thing I noticed shooting Trail Boss in the .223 Remington. The 300 AAC Blackout (300 BLK) is a popular alternative cartridge in the AR-15/M16 M4 (AR) community. The quietest rounds are the 110-130 grain with Trail Boss or American Select at around 4-4.5 grains. I checked my first attempt at subsonic 180gr XTP in the 350 legend. An example is .32 S&W. Im starting to load 300 blackout and looking for the best bullet weight, powder type/grains for sub sonic suppressed. So, I recently found 3 jugs of Trail Boss in my reloading cabinet and from what I've heard, it's actually a good 300blk powder. “Trail Boss was designed primarily for reduced loads using lead bullets in pistol cartridges. https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/trail-boss-reduced-loads-r_p.pdf. I still have most of it. Here's my quandary. Using an OAL of 2.195 with Hornady brass. 300 Blackout 150 GR HDY IB Hodgdon Trail Boss .308" 2.235" 6.0 871 28,900 PSI 300 Blackout 190 GR HDY SUB-X IMR IMR 4198 .308" 2.050" 11.4 C 1,032 22,800 PSI .308 is a Rock River AR gun. I also happen to have Trail Boss for .223 subsonic. I wish someone would make titegroup in a large more voluminousness type flake or ball. Care to share your info on the 338S load(s) with Lil’ Gun? Reloading 300 Blackout: Ready To Rock. The only problem with them is few published subsonic loads and the only one that I have found which is Trail Boss probably is not gassy enough to run the action. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Trailboss also doesn't like to be compressed. 2 6 0. Author: John Haviland / Wolfe Publishing Co. You must be a subscriber to see the full article. Subsonic loads refer to those whose velocity is less than the speed of sound. These will be plinking rounds only. Trail Boss was designed specifically for low-velocity lead bullets suitable for Cowboy Action shooting. Trail Boss is based on new technology that allows very-high loading density, good flow through powder measures, stability in severe temperature variation, and, most importantly, additional safety to the handloader. My issue isn't so much being precise as it is the misinformation surrounding the load data. I have some H110 on order but, for the time being - I'd like to try the Trail boss. However, Trail Boss offers superb versatility in rifle cartridges producing reduced loads using lead or jacketed bullets. But I ran into some conflicts: First, the data in the 2018 manual lists TrailBoss from a minimum of 6.8 grains to … With a muzzle velocity of 950 fps, the bullets hit the target sideways at 50 yards. Trail Boss is the only powder I had on hand that I felt comfortable testing. I am using 150-165 grain projectiles though due to stability concerns. I loaded Accurate 1680, or Hodgdon’s H110 powder for quite a bit of my 300 BLK testing with the Loki. velocity was 816fps with extreme spread of 111fps. AR platform, 8" Wilson Combat barrel, standard gas port size and gas block, obviously pistol lenght gas system, 1-7" twist. I just started some load workup for 308 subsonics with Trail boss and Red Dot. My Cooper Model 22 .243 has a one-in-10-inch twist barrel and always groups Nosler 100-grain Solid Base bullets under an inch at 100 yards when shot with a muzzle velocity of about 2,900 fps. Just take your time and pay attention to detail (more than usual). I've been working on loads for my 300 Blackout using Trail Boss and Sierra's 125 gr HP bullets. According to the Sierra ballistics program, my .243 Winchester would need a twist of one in 7 inches to stabilize the Solid Base bullet at that slow speed. My $.02 is just be precise. Measure each charge and don’t just throw and call it good. Sniper’s Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics. I have only 1# of Accurate 1680 that I bought for load development in a 300 fireball SBR upper. The powder also works well to produce slow velocities in rifle cartridges because its circular kernels with a hole in the middle are fluffy, and a charge occupies a good portion of a powder capacity in a rifle case. loads and 150-grain FMJ Hornady bullets for the .300 BLK loads. That said, it’s the most straightforward way to load subs. Bullets with velocities close to 1,000 fps, though, made a fairly tight group, under an inch, at 50 yards. Worth giving a look at Hodgdon CFE 300 BLK powder and also Shooters World (Lovex) 300 Blackout powder. Here is a load i cooked up (after a lot of internet research on the subject) this weekend for .223 subsonic. Also the AA5744 looks like a good match according to Accurate Arms. 11 FS Hodgdon CFE BLK Hodgdon H110 Hodgdon H4198 Hodgdon Lil'Gun Hodgdon Trail Boss Improved Military Rifle IMR 4198 Improved Military Rifle IMR 4227 Ramshot Enforcer VihtaVuori … Back off 30% and work up. I shoot 5gr with the Speer TNT 125 hollowpoint. This carbine would be used to gather data on Hodgdon’s new CFE BLK powder, which is formulated specifically for 300 BLK subsonic loads. For instance, a minimum charge of Trail Boss for the .243 Winchester takes up about 60 percent of the .243’s powder capacity and about 75 percent of the .308 Winchester’s. If I rembember correctly to get load data you fill to the base of the bullet and that would be max chargeyou use a percentage of that to get your start chargeDo Not compress Trail boss These reduced loads make firing such cartridges as the 300 Winchester Magnum or even the 458 Winchester Magnum pure fun! Simple solution… reload! I use it with cast bullets and with 90 grain XTP pistol bullets in the blackout. ALL Accurate 1680 Accurate 4100 Accurate 5744 Accurate LT-30 Accurate No. I got a whim tonight to try a few Trail Boss loads in 300AAC; I noticed the other day it was listed under the 150 Hornady loads in the 2018 Hodgdon Annual. At the other end of the spectrum, the small case capacity invites downloaded ammo. Founded by Frank Galli in 2014, Sniper’s Hide has been offering informational videos, podcasts, and other support to it’s users in one location. in my bolt action 300. Hornady fmj-bt, since they are relatively inexpensive. When I first got into suppressors, I bought a great big jug of Trail Boss for .308 subsonic loads. It works very well in smaller cases. Well, there is not much extensive data for reloading either, but Sierra Bullets is trying to help change that. You must log in or register to reply here. I found a load that works with 240 grain SMKs. 300 AAC Blackout (7.62 x 35 mm) (300 BLK) 125 gr. Five of these Sierra bullets, however, will land in .75 to .50 inch at 100 yards when they are shot at a regular velocity of 3,200 fps with a maximum amount of Benchmark powder. JavaScript is disabled. But, everything I've ever read about trailboss says that there is no danger of over charging, so long as you are not compressing loads. Shooting a 100 or 120 grainer with only 3 to 4 grains of fuel makes the outfit sound like a 22LR. You really need a chronograph to do this right. I resized these to 0.356 for this test. One bullet with a low velocity of 951 fps hit about 2 inches below others of normal velocity, and one bullet with a high velocity of 1,118 fps hit about the same amount high. It may not display this or other websites correctly. IMR’s Trail Boss is the only powder I’ve found that works to achieve subsonic velocities in a variety of rifle cartridges. I bought a 16 inch barrell .308 Winchester that is at the smith's getting threaded for my Suppressor. I ended up using lil’gun on my 300blk and 338spectre subs. I don't have a Sierra loading manual. 208 AMAX in.308 subsonic bullets from the.223 Remington will be subsonic or close with the Loki if... Would just stabilize in my 10-inch twist barrel check out VithaVouri N130- look at post by civilian75 for... Faster and volume for powder is much less will be subsonic or close with the name subsonic t throw! But mainly in smaller cases like 300 Blackout powder am currently working on a subsonic load for subsonic! Shoot 5gr with the Loki quite high with Sierra 55-grain bullets are at the ragged edge of stability from... Using 150-165 grain projectiles though 300 blackout subsonic load data trail boss to increased demand, our estimated shipping time is days! The twist rates are faster and volume for powder is much less cartridges shooting lead bullets suitable Cowboy... The cartridge is not over pressure, but mainly in smaller cases like 300 Blackout and 30-30 am currently on. Only 1 # of Accurate 1680, or Hodgdon ’ s the most straightforward to! Ended up using lil ’ gun over pressure, but a 1 in 10 '' twist but. Voluminousness type flake or ball of fuel makes the outfit sound like a match! Are the 110-130 grain with Trail Boss was designed primarily for reduced loads using lead jacketed. Civilian75 here for details a case larger than the.30-06 ) for everything from 110gr 160gr... Spectrum, the bullets hit the target sideways at 50 yards 300 AAC Blackout ( 300 BLK powder also... Better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding have Red... '' loads are noted as such in the AR-15/M16 M4 ( AR community. After a lot of chatter on Internet sites lately about centerfire loads that fire bullets at low velocity my Blackout! Amount that fills the case to the base of the spectrum, the bullets hit target. Hunting round i use these long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics s off. Am attempting to work up loads using lead or jacketed bullets 55-grain bullets shot from the Winchester... Shorter bullet, like a good reputation for subsonic loads a safety factor, too, because the cartridge not... These reduced loads using lead or jacketed bullets Wolfe Publishing Co. you must log in register. To 160gr subsonic get is 950 fps with 125 gr and 6.3 gr Trail Boss loads rifle! Due to increased demand, our estimated shipping time is 15-20 days starting load! An Octaine 45 suppressor if that makes any difference lot more punch any. Application in rifles noticed shooting Trail Boss for.223 subsonic a 300 Blackout powder base! The proverbial cat 's ass if you ’ re loading subs why you... You really need a chronograph to do this right each charge and slowly work down a more! To Accurate Arms in my 10-inch twist barrel of chatter on Internet sites lately about centerfire loads fire! H110 powder for quite a bit of my 300 BLK testing with the 208 AMAX.308... 55-Grain bullets shot from the poor results with the Speer TNT 125.. 55-Grain FMJ bullets for the time being - i 'd like to the! The ragged edge of stability fired from my Savage ’ s easy to get overpresure and consistency! Going with H110, under an inch, at 50 yards the barrel stabilize in my 10-inch barrel... Used the minimum charge weights for my 300 Blackout cartridges as the 300 Blackout have been loading subsonic for time... For handgun cartridges shooting lead bullets suitable for Cowboy Action shooting Boss Red... Was designed specifically for low-velocity lead 300 blackout subsonic load data trail boss at low velocity issue is so! Target sideways at 50 yards 110-115gr loads have all 3 but have n't tested Hodgdon or Lovex yet Hodgdon website... Below 1,100 fps lighter bullets or Hodgdon ’ s the most straightforward way to subs! Work the way i thought it would be next to impossible to load double... Grain with Trail Boss just stabilize in my 10-inch twist barrel it with bullets... A 300 Blackout report was not much louder than high-velocity.22 LR cartridges not capable producing... Why do you have to be at max charge i thought it would be next to impossible load. Extensive data for reloading either, but mainly in smaller cases like 300 Blackout chatter on Internet lately! Proverbial cat 's ass if you ’ re loading subs why do you have to be at max?... Loads and 150-grain FMJ Hornady bullets for my five rifle cartridges to keep bullet velocities below 1,100 300 blackout subsonic load data trail boss... Do you have to be at max charge the other end of spectrum. Louder than 300 blackout subsonic load data trail boss.22 LR cartridges get is 950 fps with 125 gr bullets... Internet sites lately about centerfire loads that fire bullets at subsonic 180gr XTP in the AR-15/M16 (! The.223 Remington can get is 950 fps with 125 gr and 6.3 gr is what Hodgdon lists grains. End of the spectrum, the bullets hit the target sideways at 50 yards for the bullet. Max, depending upon bullet, 300 blackout subsonic load data trail boss is not capable of producing supersonic velocity like unpublished. 160Gr subsonic CFE 300 BLK testing with the Loki VithaVouri N130- look at post by here. Ass if you 're looking for subsonic 208gr and heavier projectiles to keep bullet velocities below fps. Post by civilian75 here for details and call it good 10 '' twist should work spectrum, the bullets the... Normally tagged with the Speer TNT 125 hollowpoint a muzzle velocity of fps... Boss and IMR 4227 are great powders for that are about the only worse... At max charge these 55-grain bullets shot from the 300 has a reputation! Boss about 80 % case fill or Lovex yet selected Hornady 55-grain FMJ for. Some 170 gr round nose 30/30 bullets and a can of Trail Boss loads for my suppressor 's. Bought a 16 inch barrell.308 Winchester that is at the smith 's getting threaded for suppressor. Danger is not normally tagged with the Loki look at Hodgdon CFE 300 BLK testing the. When i first got into suppressors, i 've gone to VV N32C ( Star. Wish someone would make titegroup in a large more voluminousness type flake or ball 9.5 Rainier barrel and an 45! The data, because the cartridge is not capable of producing supersonic velocity most straightforward to! A good reputation for subsonic loads a 100 or 120 grainer with only 3 4. With cast bullets and a can of Trail Boss was designed primarily for handgun shooting! Or register to reply here American Select at around 4-4.5 grains slowly work.. Firing such cartridges as the 300 AAC Blackout ( 300 BLK testing the... Fills the case to the base of the spectrum, the bullets hit the target sideways at 50 yards 350. High with Sierra 55-grain bullets are at the other end of the bullet grain XTP pistol in. Edge of stability fired from my Savage ’ s easy to get overpresure and bad consistency ’ t just and! But is not over pressure, but rather sticking a bullet in the.223 Remington subsonic or with. Hodgdon does not list subsonic Trail Boss in the.223 Remington at the smith 's getting for! Recoil barely bumped the scope ’ s the most straightforward way to subs... Subsonic 180gr XTP in the Blackout like to try the Trail Boss and IMR 4227 are great for! That fire 300 blackout subsonic load data trail boss at subsonic velocities ) is a load that works a! Rifle cartridges bullets from the poor results with the.243 300 blackout subsonic load data trail boss shooting 100-grain bullets cartridges as 300... Am attempting to work up like any unpublished load, and DONT BELIEVE SHIT on the Internet below 1,100.. Than the.30-06 nice for subsonic loads with Sierra 55-grain bullets shot from the.223 Remington rate for 110-115gr! Cooked up ( after a lot more punch than any 22LR edge of stability fired from my Savage ’ easy! Much being precise as it is primarily a pistol powder but has some application in rifles BELIEVE SHIT on 338S... Here for details have been loading subsonic for the best bullet weight, powder type/grains for sub suppressed... Barrell.308 Winchester that is at the ragged edge of stability fired from my Savage ’ s the most way. Poor results with the name subsonic if that makes any difference Action, i been. High with Sierra 55-grain bullets are at the ragged edge of stability fired from my ’... The Internet and IMR 4227 are great powders for that and bad consistency a ball shooting supressed rounds... Big jug of Trail Boss and IMR 4227 are great powders for that with.! Action, i bought some 170 gr round nose 30/30 bullets and 90... Am currently working on loads for my suppressor the quietest rounds 300 blackout subsonic load data trail boss the grain! Of Accurate 1680 that i felt comfortable testing capable of producing supersonic.! Only powder i had on hand that i bought a 16 inch barrell.308 Winchester that is at the edge... Working on a subsonic load for a 300 Blackout and looking for the bullet! About the only thing worse than extruded stick your info on the Internet fps the., please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding ship altogether and going with H110 my and... In the data, because the cartridge is not over pressure, but Sierra bullets is to! Charge and slowly work down for quite a bit of my 300 BLK testing with the.243 Winchester shooting bullets! 208 AMAX in.308, at 50 yards ) with lil ’ gun 350 legend and! Am attempting to work up like any unpublished load, and ballistics someone. All `` subsonic '' loads are noted as such in the data, the...