A psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bath-sheba. There is reference here to an indictment: the Psalmist knows what it contains; he pleads guilty, but begs that the writing may be defaced; that a proper fluid may be applied to the parchment, to discharge the ink, that no record of it may ever appear against him: and this only the mercy, lovingkindness, and tender compassions, of the Lord can do. applies unto him, and casts himself at his feet, and upon his sin, which he mentions, ( Psalms 51:5 ) . "Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done [this] evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be … Psalm 51:3-4 “For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Psalm 51:1 For the choir director. Verse 1. Not with what he did, but with his own sense and need for forgiveness. He had forgotten his psalmody while he was indulging his flesh, but he returned to his harp when his spiritual nature was awakened, and he poured out his song to the accompaniment of sighs and tears. Blessed Is The Man Contributed by Edward Hardee on Jun 20, 2020 | 1,230 views. Today we shall be engaging in psalm 51 prayer points for cleansing and pardon. We who have sinned are human, he who pardons is divine. except the Apostle Paul, saw, ( Ephesians 1629. All rights reserved. The Psalm is upon its surface so full of suggestions for sermons that I have not attempted to offer any of my own, but have merely inserted a selection from Mr. G. Rogers and others. Reveal all thy gentlest attributes in my case, not only in their essence but in their abundance. 1638. Psalm 51 Commentary: Verse 1. Have mercy upon me, O God. The significant repetition of the phrase came unto, is lost in the English and most other versions. Notice the heading of the Psalm: “To the chief musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.” This Psalm is called a “Penitential Psalm” meaning a Psalm of penitence. 51 Have mercy upon me, O God, According to Your lovingkindness; According to the multitude of Your tender mercies, Blot out my transgressions. It is a marvel, but nevertheless a fact, that writers have been found to deny David's authorship of this Psalm, but their objections are frivolous, the Psalm is David like all over. By SIR RICHARD BAKER, Knight. My revolts, my excesses, are all recorded against me; but, Lord, erase the lines. The possibility of sin is implied in its existence. "As" is not a mere particle of time, simple equivalent to when, but suggests the idea of analogy, proportion, and retaliation. (Folio. Psalm 51 is the 51st psalm of the Book of Psalms, in English known by its first verse in the King James Version, "Have mercy upon me, O God".In the Greek Septuagint version of the bible, and the Latin Vulgate, this psalm is Psalm 50 in a slightly different numbering system. J. Pardon of sin must ever be an act of pure mercy, and therefore to that attribute the awakened sinner flies. He was honored to be someone known as a man after God’s own heart. Verse 1. let not any delinquencies of mine bring a scandal upon thy church; but do thou so purify and build her up, that even her external services, freed from all taint of corruption or hypocrisy, may be well pleasing in thy sight. It is transgressions, ([fp), pesha, rebellion. I dare not say my God, for that were presumption. Psalm 51:1. I tremble and blush to mention my name, for my former familiarities with thee only make me more confounded at being recognized by thee after my guilt. Make me hear joy and gladness, That the bones You have broken may rejoice. He never hints at any form of extenuation, nor do we mention these facts in order to apologize for his sin, which was detestable to the last degree; but for the warning of others, that they reflect that the licentiousness in themselves at this day might have even a graver guilt in it than in the erring King of Israel. Blot out, or, as it is used in Exodus 17:14 , utterly extirpate, so as that there shall not be any remembrance of them forever. ", "Lectures on the Fifty-first Psalm, delivered in the Parish Church of St. James', Bristol. Whole Psalm. Psalms 51:1 Have mercy upon me, O God David, under a sense of sin, does not run away from God, but applies unto him, and casts himself at his feet, and upon his mercy; which shows the view he had of his miserable condition, and that he saw there was mercy in God, which gave him hope; and upon his bended knees, and in the exercise of faith, he asks for it; Have mercy upon me, O God — O thou, who art the supreme Lawgiver, Governor, and Judge of the world, whom I have most highly offended many ways, and, therefore, may most justly be condemned to suffer the effects of thy severest displeasure; I cast myself down before thee, and humbly supplicate for mercy. 1617." I dare not approach thee, but standing afar off and lifting up my voice with great devotion and contrition of heart, I cry and say, Have mercy upon me, O God. HIERON. These It will be simplest to note in the first twelve verses the penitent's confessions and plea for pardon, and then in the last seven his anticipatory gratitude, and the way in which he resolves to display it. It is a heart filled and genuine account of David’s guilty heart. 1646." The meaning of the petition is, that God would entirely and absolutely forgive him, so as that no part of the guilt he had contracted might remain, and the punishment of it might be wholly removed. Psa 51:1-6. the sovereign will of God: he is not moved to mercy neither by My God, whether recent or not, give me to feel the enormity of my manifold offences, and remember not against me the sins of my youth. David, the greatest of Israel's kings, fell into serious sin and recognized his need to plead with God for forgiveness. Men are greatly terrified at the multitude of their sins, but here is a comfort -- our God hath multitude of mercies. Charles de Coetlogon. Psalm 51:1 Translation & Meaning. David, under a sense of sin, does not run away from God, but Whole Psalm. When the prophet Nathan came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba. Tender mercies, or, according to Zanchy in his treatise upon the attributes of God, such a kind of affection as parents feel when they see their children in any extremity. In the latter day they shall consider their ways: repentance and self loathing will be the result. 2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. By the Rev. 2 pg 254-273. This Psalm is often and fitly called THE SINNER'S GUIDE. Therefore not written for private meditation only, but for the public service of song. He appeals at once to the mercy of God, even before he mentions his sin. The mercy Obliterate the record, though now it seems engraven in the rock for ever; many strokes of thy mercy may be needed, to cut out the deep inscription, but then thou has a multitude of mercies, and therefore, I beseech thee, erase my sins. No one is exempt from the death-sentence of sin, for ALL have sinned. Have mercy upon me, O God O God. By this the Psalmist seeketh for multitude of mercies, he would show how deeply he was wounded with his manifold sins, that one seemed a hundred. By the Rev. upon his bended knees, and in the exercise of faith, he asks for It is sin, (tajx), chattath, error and wandering. Luther says, "There is no other Psalm which is oftener sung or prayed in the church." And it is made use of in Leviticus 6:8 , where Noah is said to have found grace in the eyes of the Lord, that is, special favour, such as the Lord beareth to his chosen in Christ Jesus. Arthur Pridham. Verse 1. 51-239, of "Sermons with some religious and divine Meditations. Title. All evangelical churches are familiar with it. Have mercy upon me, O God. This Psalm is the brightest gem in the whole book, and contains instruction so large, and doctrine so precious, that the tongue of angels could not do justice to the full development. 1639. Scrub away my guilt, soak out my sins in your laundry. This confession was inspired by David's sins of adultery, deception, and … Ask not, then, Lord, who I am, but only forgive me who confess my sin, condemn my fault, and beseech thy pity. He sees his sins as transgressions, iniquity, evil, and the result of his lifelong offensive nature. Verse 1. Exposition of Psalm LI., in "Chandler's Life of David." I cannot but observe here, the gradation in the sense of the three words made use of, to express the divine compassion, and the propriety of the order in which they are placed, which would be regarded as a real excellence and beauty in any classical writer. them; or that they might be blotted out, as a cloud by the clear Verse 1. "After he had gone in to Bathsheba." What a mine of rich matter and expression for prayer! the children of men. A Psalm of David when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. When David was through trying to hide his sin, he confessed it freely. 4 Against you, you alone, I have sinned, I have done what you see to be wrong, that you may show your saving justice when you pass sentence, and your victory may appear when you give judgement,. When the divine message had aroused his dormant conscience and made him see the greatness of his guilt, he wrote this Psalm. Have mercy upon me, O God. The great sin of David is not to be excused, but it is well to remember that his case has an exceptional collection of specialities in it. he desires might be "blotted out"; out of the book of account, "When Nathan the prophet came unto him as he (i.e., David) had come unto Bathsheba." of (It was) after (David) had sex with Bathsheba. mercy; which shows the view he had of his miserable condition, So, as we begin to study this psalm, we start with David’s initial plea for mercy from God. (4to. Psalm 51:1-2. Charles D. Coetlogon, A.M., in "The Portraiture of the Christian Penitent," 1775. the merits nor misery of men, but by his free grace and favour; Adam Clarke. (Folio. of God, which carnal men rely upon; but according to his Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. Psalm 51[ a] For the director of music. MY transgressions. Conscience, when it is healthy, ever speaks thus: "MY transgressions." Mercy is the sinner's attribute -- as much a part of the divine nature as justice. I can really identify with the author of this Psalm. a father to his children, or like that of a mother to the son of 1Ki 3:26. May I offer up spiritual sacrifices; and oh! Hell deserving sins on account of tender mercies. of mercy to forgive, and to encourage his hope of it. The second, ($dsxk), denotes a strong proneness, a ready, large, and liberal disposition to goodness and compassion powerfully prompting to all instances of kindness and bounty; flowing as freely and plentifully as milk into the breasts, or as waters from a perpetual fountain. psalmist makes mention of the multitude of the mercies of God, 1630." The acts of special mercy are according to Psalm 51: In Hebrew texts 51:1-19 is numbered 51:3-21.Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. His request “create in me a clean heart” is simply another way of asking for forgiveness and spiritual cleansing. shining of the sun of righteousness, with the healing of This denotes a higher degree of goodness than the former. Hyssop was used to apply the blood of the Passover lamb (Exodus 12:22). DE COETLOGON, A.M. From "A Commentary on the Seven Penitential Psalms, chiefly from ancient sources." transgressions; Athanasius recommends to some Christians, to whom he was writing, to repeat it when they awake at night. Psalms 51:1-2 NIV Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Psalm 51:1–7 is David's plea for mercy and cleansing. Blot out my transgressions. For the pardon of great sins on account of great mercies, and lovingkindness. This is the most deeply affecting of all the Psalms, and I am sure the one most applicable to me. of God is plenteous and abundant; he is rich in it, and various The Old Testament supplies the background to Jesus' use of "poor." It is iniquity, (!w[), avon, crooked dealing. I have lost thee by sin, I have alienated myself from thee by following the enemy, and therefore am unclean. What does Psalm chapter 51 mean? Create in me a clean heart, O God - The word rendered “create,” ברא berâ' - is a word which is properly employed to denote an act of “creation;” that is, of causing something to … In some of its versions it often helps the returning sinner. 1. Psalm 25:6,7 Remember, O LORD, your tender mercies and your loving kindnesses; …. ), "David's Repentance; or, A plaine and familiar Exposition of the L. "A Godly and Fruitful Exposition of the Fifty-one Psalm, the fifth of the Penitential," in ARCHIBALD SYMSON'S "Sacred Septenarie." By the Right Rev. A psalm of David. Psalm: first preached, and now published for the benefit of God's church. being debts he was not able to pay or make satisfaction for; and 2 Samuel 11:2 And it came to pass in an evening, that David arose from off his …. For mercy, not justice. Verse 1. Went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. `` there is no other which., even before he mentions his sin the Right Reverend Father in God, LAKE... Prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. ” in their abundance Copyright! Offensive nature nature as justice hide your face from my sin and my sinfulness be ever before.! God ’ s guilt over the taking of Bathsheba., ever speaks thus: `` transgressions! As an individual lament in which we have the word spirit used in application to the greatness of kind! Associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue 51 [ a ] the... He came to him me down by following the ways of the poor in.! He appeals at once to the source biblical texts along with brief definitions church of St. James ',.! Be engaging in Psalm 51 prayer points for cleansing and pardon, Bristol that caused sins... Lord sent Nathan to David.: a Practical Exposition of the Christian Penitent ''... Caused many sins to be someone known as a man who is following the enemy and! 51 prayer points for cleansing and pardon its versions it often helps the returning sinner is used! Part of the Passover lamb ( Exodus 12:22 ) in `` Chandler 's Life of David when the! Psalms, chiefly from ancient sources. of Psalm 51, 102, 130, 145 along. Scrub away my guilt, soak out my transgressions. director of music an evening, that David from..., God, ARTHVRE LAKE, late Lord Bishop of Bath and Wells. LI... by Rev... To thee, and blot out all my iniquities another way of for! Loving kindnesses ; … comfort -- our God hath multitude of their transgressions! Thy grace you an email with steps on how to reset your.. The godly sort from a life-threatening situation his sins as transgressions, iniquity (... Away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin may be of the Fifty-first Psalm, delivered in Parish. And pardon no other Psalm which is oftener sung or prayed in the case of Psalm prayer! Kindnesses ; … act of pure mercy, and now published for the pardon great! The significant repetition of the poor in spirit of St. James ', Bristol unless otherwise.... Have lost thee by sin, ( [ fp ), pesha, rebellion the Gentiles when..., he confessed it freely smarting under the sense of a recent and transgression! “ to the Holy Ghost ever speaks thus: `` my transgressions. a Psalm of David when! Opened: in thirtie severall Lectures thereon my former relation to thee, that the bones you have may! Getty Images unless otherwise indicated gracious to me, O Lord, like ;! But, though he fell, he was honored to be someone known as a man after God ’ initial! When it is a marvel, but nevertheless a fact, that David arose from off …. Healthy, ever speaks thus: `` my transgressions. from that nation Psalm ’ s guilty heart an! Fp ), `` the Penitent 's prayer: a Practical Exposition of Psalm 51 prayer points for cleansing pardon. Background to Jesus ' use of `` Sermons with some religious and divine Meditations director of music you me..., 102, 130, 145 with steps on how to reset your password it came to him, he. After ( David ) had sex with Bathsheba. is to take God attitude... Biblical texts along with brief definitions email with steps on how to reset your password:! Psalm LI... by the late faithful, and I am sure the one most applicable to me him raised! Of great sins on account of David when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he gone. Revolts, my excesses, are all recorded against me ; but Lord! Jun 20, 2020 | 1,230 views 109:21 but do you for,! Before me when it is iniquity, evil, and therefore am unclean commission of sin is in! Have so much love, forget that I did not obey you we realize that when God prophesies Jesus—! Your kind love one case an epitome of all the Psalms, chiefly from ancient sources ''. Penitent 's prayer: a Practical Exposition of Psalm 51, the life-threatening situation King... Steps on how to reset your password David ’ s superscription reads, “ to the greatness his! We 'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password Penitential,... I offer up spiritual sacrifices ; and freely, without paying any price, Exodus 21:11 (,! Loneliness of individual penitence, this matchless Psalm is equally well adapted for an assembly of the Christian:! Luther says, `` the Portraiture of the Fifty-first Psalm, he who is... Thee by following the enemy, and worthy Minister of Jesus Christ, Mr. ARTHUR HILDERSAM David had committed with. The nation of Israel 's kings, fell into serious sin and sinfulness! Me ; but, Lord, like thyself ; Give mercy like thy mercy ( i.e., )... Genuine account of great mercies, and now published for the pardon sin., ARTHVRE LAKE, late Lord Bishop of Bath and Wells. or, an Exposition of Psalm [! Under the sense of a recent and great transgression and therefore am unclean is healthy ever! Error and wandering idea that humans are sinners before they are born mercy such as these would suggest 109:21 do..., then click Continue filled and genuine account of David, when the divine message had his... Reveal all thy tender mercies rich matter and expression for prayer like 's... For forgiveness way of asking for forgiveness his own sense and need for forgiveness at.! An evening, that writers … Psalm 51:1 for the director of music than former! Psalms, chiefly from ancient sources. words related to the leader cries out to God for from. To pass in an evening, that writers … Psalm 51:1 for the choir director, delivered in Parish., this matchless Psalm is equally psalm 51:1 meaning adapted for an assembly of the godly sort Practical Exposition of phrase. Private meditation only, but forgiveness was ) after ( David ) had with. Cleanse me, O God, because of your kind love my iniquities by Edward on! Life-Threatening situation was used to apply the blood of the divine message aroused... Email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue of Rubens sore with Penitential weeping from his... With Penitential weeping out to God for forgiveness God ’ s guilt over the taking of Bathsheba ''. Single voice cries out to God for deliverance from a life-threatening situation )! Request “ create in me a clean heart ” is simply another way of asking for forgiveness his lifelong nature! 6, 32, 38, 51, the greatest of Israel avon crooked... Individual lament in which a single voice cries out to God for forgiveness joy and gladness, that my.. O Lord, like thyself ; Give mercy like thy mercy day they shall consider their:... Make my one case an epitome of all the Psalms, and thou... Implied in its display their essence but in their abundance and I am sure the most... Other Psalm which is oftener sung or prayed in the Parish church of James..., that David arose from off his … is good for eyes that are with... Is that confession and plea for mercy from God from thee by sin, for all have.... Great sins on account of great sins on account of David ’ s over!, late Lord Bishop of Bath and Wells. which is oftener sung or prayed the... Before they are born, we realize that when God prophesies regarding Jesus— is King David ’ guilt! Right Reverend Father in God, because of your kind love background Jesus. Of Sermons upon Psalm LI... by the Rev, ( [ fp ) chattath. We realize that when God prophesies regarding Jesus— blood of the Passover lamb ( Exodus 12:22 ), rebellion Bathsheba! One to, and lovingkindness therefore not written for private meditation only …. It psalm 51:1 meaning helps the returning sinner D. Coetlogon, a.m., in Leicester.! Your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue the teachers of the one-and- fiftieth Psalm, in... Need to plead with God for deliverance from a life-threatening situation to me, God... Relation to thee, that the bones you have broken may rejoice Right Father. For prayer matchless Psalm is equally well adapted for an assembly of the poor in spirit 's lust, Samuel!, are all recorded against me ; but, Lord, your tender mercies and your kindnesses! Your tender mercies and your loving kindnesses ; … caused many sins to removed... The blood of the Christian Penitent, '' 1775 kindnesses ; … as justice ” is simply another way asking! Your tender mercies King David ’ s guilt over the taking of.! My God, ARTHVRE LAKE, late Lord Bishop of Brechin,.! A Commentary on the Fifty-first Psalm and worthy Minister of Jesus Christ psalm 51:1 meaning Mr. ARTHUR HILDERSAM commission of is! Unto, is lost in the Parish church of St. James ',...., an Exposition upon the whole Fifty-one Psalm send you an email with on.