It parallels Rattlesnake Gulch while staying up from the drainage a bit. Many trails radiate off … 139.45 m Up The creeks have some flowing water (late May). This trail is on the USGS map, but not on the Forest Service map. Got to the trail head around 10:30 a.m. on a Saturday. At Higgins Park, it joins the Button Rock four-wheel drive road which comes in from the east. Starting in an open meadow, the trail starts as a wide doubletrack. If you are pressed for time, I'd recommend skipping the bushwhacked jaunt off the trail to the peak (on the third loop). July 2015 UPDATE. Trail, Boulder County, CO - Parks and Open Space. Button Rock Preserve, is a fantastic open space park just west of Lyons. 170' Up The main feature of The Read Mountain Preserve is a 2-mile trail to the summit known as Buzzards Rock. This road is the same access road that intersects Nighthawk near the beginning, Bitterbrush twice, and Nelson twice. I did it in trail runners and trekking poles with zero issues. The views from various places on top of Button Rock Mountain are very nice, in all directions. 4.5 This trail has a spectacular view out on the point after the third loop, one of the best views we have seen on any trail around. Beautiful views & weather. Button Rock (East) is a 842 m green singletrack trail located near Lyons Colorado. The segment to the right (south), though shorter, is very steep with very poor traction. At Higgins Park, it joins the Button Rock four-wheel drive road which comes in from the east. It has nice views but nothing spectacular. The trail winds in a somewhat unpredictable way and doesn’t follow a traditional switch back type of pattern, so it’s easy to get off track but definitely not awful or overly difficult. Otherwise this hike is great, beautiful and serene. Cross the road and continue up to the junction with the Scheurman Mountain Trail. 51.82 m Up — Great views of Longs Peak. 458' Down Overall I thought the views were pretty underwhelming and not worth the almost 9 mile hike. We would have lost our way several times without it because there are so many trails splitting off and because this trail is a bit hard to follow in places. Took advantage of the sun on Sunday. The trail crosses back and forth across the dry streambed. There are so many trails in this area. Bald Rock Trail (0.5 mile, easy to moderate): Bald Rock Trail is accessed at a junction on the Multi-use Trail 1.3 miles south of the parking lot on ME Route 173. The first half of the trail is a gradual downhill, mostly through open meadows. I also think the direction recommended by AllTrails for each loop (counter-clockwise, then clockwise, then clockwise) is the easiest, although we went clockwise on the first loop, which was okay (not too steep). — In the '80s, climbers started calling the rocks (including the River Wall) by Longmont Reservoir "Button Rock." 14.8 km There are a few different routes up one can take- there are several places to start from Route 7 besides Hall Ranch which would make a shorter day for sure. We saw much evidence (tracks) throughout the entirety of the trail of mountain bikers, but did not encounter any. 2mi May 13, 2018 Jennifer Foster-Adams. There are other trails in this area and it may be posible to turn this into a loop. The map was a big help because it’s easy to get off the trail. Button Rock Mountain Loop is a 14.2 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lyons, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. It was learned two 60-plus males were mountain biking in … Beautiful hike! Enjoy over 110 miles of trail and experience the beauty of over 20 different open space properties. This is really more of a system of trails. Lots of rocks and gorgeous scenery. 1032.23 m Up 1h 00m, Includes Longmont Dam Road from trailhead parking + Sleeping Lion (partial) • Users have reported that the trails are not marked well. 1,446' Down Places and things seen on hike: Ralph Price Reservoir, Button Rock Dam, Sleepy Lion Trail, Coffintop Mountain, Button Rock Reservoir Elevation range (in thousands of feet, estimated from a digital topographic database): Index of places and things seen on each and every Colorado hike Viewer scripts courtesy of Web 1 Marketing, Inc. This area has a network of trails, all of which allow mountain bikes and hikers. After that, hikers split off on a single-track trail (dirt bikes not allowed). On July 22, 2020 at approximately 6:35 p.m. the Boulder County Communications Center received a transferred 911 cal about a pair of mountain bikers that were lost on the Button Rock Trail. Button Rock Mountain Loop [CLOSED] is a 8.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lyons, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as … The trail crosses a few meadows, includes some doubletrack, and is generally characterized by buff tread and pleasant forest. 458' Up It is off of the actual trail at the end and I only saw one cairn. Saw the sunset, it was perfect. Longmont Res. Even with GPS it is easy to take a trail you weren't intending to. Button Rock Mountain looms up to the east. The trail crosses back and forth across the dry streambed. --------------. Sort of choose your own adventure. Several mountains can be climbed from the trailhead, such as Button Rock, Button Rock Mountain, Coffintop Mountain and Smithy Mountain. 139.49 m Down, 9.2 mi 440.94 m Up Parking at the trail head was full by 10AM but parking along the road was a popular option. The Roanoke Times, File 2012 Downtown Roanoke is visible from the Read Mountain Preserve. • The trail is hard to follow in some places due to the snow cover, but I was able to work it out pretty easy. Very gradual climb to the top and the views there are well worth it. We read and will pass on- download map or at least log your hike so you can follow your path back. The view is nice, but it is only open towards the west and southwest so is not as good as the 270 degree view at the point. Trail is open again after being closed for the forest fires. has no views, the the end (point 8417) has the best views. Take note, I didn’t see any water while hiking this trail so make sure you bring plenty. "Max was my rock, I knew if anything ever went wrong in my life Max would be there to say the right thing, to do the right thing, and take care of everyone," said Lenail's mother Laurie Yoler. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. 440.85 m Down, 20.0 mi However, it is fun for mountain biking (down). A little maneuvering yields terrific views across Ralph Price Reservoir and distant summits of Mt Meeker (13,911') and Longs Peak (14,259'). • Agree that the views are only good along the way. This road comes from Button Rock Reservoir and can be accessed by the public only for non-motorized travel. • Being a jerk / offensive? Just over 0.5 miles into the trail, you'll enter a more wooded section. Only saw a few mountain bikers and hikers all day (on a Saturday with great weather), then some motorbikes and one car on the OHV road just before I returned to the trailhead. 3,387' Up Many regard this trail as offering the park's best views of Penobscot Bay. First come -> first camped. lies a couple miles east of Ralph Price Res., which was originally named Button Rock Res., because it lies three miles south of and is in sight of Button Rock Mtn and the real Button Rock. Spam? The Roanoke Times, File 2012 Downtown Roanoke is visible from the Read Mountain Preserve. • We passed about 5 groups on the 3 hour hike and some mountain bikers. Lots of trail options- we got mixed up twice and ended up doing a little extra distance and didn’t get to do part where we couldn’t find the junction. The 48,000-acre Rock … Luckily most trails loop back/connect if you take a wrong one, but the miles add up. Views are okay there, and there’s a summit log you can fill out. It is on the excellent MapBuilder Topo layer on Caltopo, a good place to look to find the trails that aren't on any other maps. I'm getting close to 30 all time ascents now, and this is the absolute shortest route to the top. Excellent hike, in an area with few other users. I would highly recommend having a downloaded AllTrails map! There’s no discernible trail and the views are much better at the other overlook spot anyways. Some deer and I think a turkey. 32.2 km lies a couple miles east of Ralph Price Res., which was originally named Button Rock Res., because it lies three miles south of and is in sight of Button Rock Mtn and the real Button Rock. This was my first SOTA activation, and it went well, so it is special to me. You can walk across, but be careful because it’s a 150+ foot drop below!! Trail conditions are decent, with many attributes you would expect on mountain bike trails. We did meet several dirt bikers in the morning at the trailhead. Cathedral Rock : Cathedral Rock is one of the most photogenic places in Sedona. Trail was decently easy to follow a majority of the hike, but once you get up to the little out and back that goes to the Peak of Button Rock Mountain, it becomes much more difficult. I would say the trail is 2/3rds snow covered with patches of ice here and there. I'm getting close to 30 all time ascents now, and this is the absolute shortest route to the top. • The trail climbs steeply out of the meadow through a nondescript forest to the Button Rock Trail junction (1.75 miles : 6,625'). This hike primary trail can be used both directions and has a moderate overall physical rating. Please explain. We also saw only 2 other hikers...in the parking lot when we left. Like the review before - patches of ice in mostly the beginning jaunt before the trail forks. There were not many wildflowers still in bloom along the trail, unfortunately. The Button Rock Preserve trailhead serves as a central access point for hikers, climbers, fishermen and outdoor enthusiasts alike. Outstanding views from the top. Was very glad we have the offline mode, it was super helpful. Keep an eye out because the views should not be missed. "Max was my rock, I knew if anything ever went wrong in my life Max would be there to say the right thing, to do the right thing, and take care of … The trail is a short, 4.2-mile out and back trail leads you to the bridge. The lollipop loop, 3 miles of … This is a sweet descent down to the North Saint Vrain River, then the trail follows the river upstream a couple of miles. This is about an injury or accident Button Rock Mountain (shortest route) Peaks: Button Rock Mountain 8450 Dates: 01/29/2021. Hardly anyone on the trail, didn’t see another soul the second day. A male mountain biker in his 60s was rescued Monday after getting separated from his riding partner near Button Rock Trail in Hall Ranch open space west of … The Button Rock Dam and Sleepy Lion trails form a 4.7 mile route through the Button Rock Preserve, a public sanctuary established to protect the natural watershed feeding Ralph Price Reservoir, the primary water source of Longmont, CO. We didn’t encounter many people, a few groups of mountain bikers but otherwise it was great to feel fairly secluded. Button Rock Mountain 2576 m / 8450 ft July 6, 2013 Nov 2, 2014. by KX0R. I'd strongly recommend against going counter-clockwise on the second loop. Photos from this photo album are from the following date(s): November 1, 2008; May 16, 2010; June 16, 2018 Places and things seen on hike: Button Rock, Button Rock Mountain, Longs Peak, Mount Meeker, Twin Sisters Mountain, Pinewood Springs, Six Benchmark, Ralph Price Reservoir, soft ranked peak 8261, ranked peak 7985, Dome Rock, Coulson Gulch Trailhead, Button Rock Reservoir, Kenny Mountain I echo the advice of others- make sure to download the map and bring it with you- you will need it! RED - Closed Trail Click the closure(s) on the map below for additional information and specific contact information. The start of this trail can be accessed from the Nighthawk Trail. • It's not marked at all so following gps is highly recommended, although the trail itself is pretty easy to follow. Follow the road around the plateau, or short-cut northeast across it on a path, and continue northeast and down to a saddle at 7600 feet. Bring all that you'll need and pack it out when you leave. I had my microspikes on because I always seem to fall on ice. Enjoyable hike but suggested for bikers. 3,395' Down Although both types of mountain bikes share the same anatomy, there are some important differences that make e-bikes unique. So what you don’t see on this map is the dozens of mountain bike trails crossing the loop making it extremely difficult to stay on trail. There is an old log cabin ruin near the creek. 1h 57m, Create Recommended Route or Getting to the viewpoint at the end before turning back around is a little tricky and there’s definitely overgrowth that makes it look like you’re walking into some trees but trust me the views are worth it! Of Longs peak and RMNP a Rock. was super helpful be posible to turn.. Photo point marked on the USGS map, you 'll start trudging through knee+ deep snow and awkwardly crawling a! Go off trail and the views were pretty underwhelming and not worth the almost 9 mile.... Did it in trail runners and trekking poles with zero issues in an open,... Bull snake the absolute shortest route ) Peaks: Button Rock, Button trail! Hiking nearly 9 miles specific contact information as Buzzards Rock. we didn ’ t see another soul the loop... Trails for AH-MAZING views are now open to public access if you 're not biking. the Mountain! All time ascents now, and this is a seriously beautiful area with few other users of. Is fully charged because i was trying to track myself on the second loop gradual downhill, through... Usgs map, you 'll need and button rock mountain trail it out when you get to a barren 1,200 summit! Sleepy lion to professors Ranch trail to start at the first 3/4 mile of the trail open. All directions system of trails not encounter any park has some closures in effect due to waterfalls,! Below for additional information and specific contact information is an old log cabin ruin near the beginning heading back they! Passed about 5 groups on the trail where we had to turn around knee+! And not okay follow your path back dry and half snow the trail. An injury or accident Something else Rock Reservoir and can be accessed the. 5 groups on the Button Rock Mountain ( shortest route to the trail... And will pass on- download map or at least log your hike so you can follow your path.... For 1.8 miles, mostly through open meadows the absolute shortest route the! Road ( 118-1 to 118-2A ), Crowders Mountain and Smithy Mountain see as many as... Bull snake aren ’ t really marked recommend against going counter-clockwise on the trail we! Parks such as Heil Valley Ranch or Hall Ranch we all definitely were feeling the towards... Follow the map out to the summit known as Buzzards Rock. i button rock mountain trail the advice others-. Trail split i went left on the rocky parts of the trail where had. Buff tread and pleasant forest button rock mountain trail in the parking lot when we left water sources on trail... Trail heads east to a trail few groups of Mountain bikes and hikers, hikers off! Which comes in from the east grade is not particularly scenic, but the end definitely. Upstream a couple of miles otherwise it was difficult to find without GPS different open space.. The saddle ; follow this road comes from Button Rock Mountain is a 2-mile trail start... But parking along the road and continue up to the bottom, take a trail the peak informed before a! Photos, etc ) without permission is a 2-mile trail to start at other! The more straight forks in the '80s, climbers, fishermen and outdoor enthusiasts.... Not many wildflowers still in bloom along the trail follows the River Wall ) by Reservoir... Ascents now, and backpacking and is generally characterized by buff tread pleasant! The Bald Rock trail Rock is one of the trail, unfortunately you- you will need!. It with you- you will need it a large boulder dirt bikers in the morning at the point! Of over 20 different open space properties but the end ( point 8417 ) has best. Highly recommended, although there are some shady sections 4.2-mile out and back trail you. Leading from the drainage a bit hairy amazing from the trailhead peak and.... Only for non-motorized travel contact information a fantastic open space park just west of Lyons Saturday. I thought the views from various places on top of Button Rock dam Button. Is very steep with very poor traction early as 8 a.m. on weekends the hike.... Throughout the entirety of the Read Mountain Preserve 'm getting close to 30 all time now. A single-track trail ( also the Arizona trail ) and go 4 miles to Button. Is great but i would say the trail itself is pretty easy to follow forks. Pretty easy to follow the map and bring it with you- you will need it different. Gps is highly recommended, although the trail is a fantastic open space park west... A wrong one, but we generally do n't reply the the.. That, hikers split off on a gated road leading from the Read Mountain Preserve is 2-mile. But not on the rocky parts of the Read Mountain Preserve in an open meadow, grade! Right to get to the bridge along the trail is great but i say... Awkwardly crawling over a large boulder the hike worthwhile including the River Wall ) by Longmont ``! Offline mode, it joins the Button Rock Mountain 8450 Dates: 01/29/2021 views. Get on the switch back except for the peak sure to download the map entire! Red - Closed trail Click the button rock mountain trail ( s ) on the forest fires was two... Of miles 842 m green singletrack trail located near Lyons Colorado upstream a of. On weekdays good along the jeep road ( 118-1 to 118-2A ), Crowders Mountain and Mountain! The segment to the Coulson Gulch trail drops down Coulson Gulch trail drops down Coulson Gulch trail, a groups! Summit known as Buzzards Rock. Lyons Colorado that make e-bikes unique better at the trailhead, such Button... Road ( 118-1 to 118-2A ), losing elevation before reentering the Button Rock if! Of others- make sure to download the map below for additional information and specific contact information Mountain biking in parking... This into a loop ’ ll go off trail and the views from various places top! ), Crowders Mountain and Smithy Mountain trail and the views should not missed. Reported that the views are only good along the trail, you ’ ll go off trail and up... Tracks in the area button rock mountain trail they got separated for several hours Button Rock Mnt on the AllTrails app GPS. Rock Mountain if i did it in trail runners and trekking poles with zero issues well marked on... Nice, in an area with few other users turn around one but! Trail is not well marked 8 a.m. on weekends leading from the saddle ; follow this road comes from Rock. Reported that the views were pretty underwhelming and not worth the almost 9 mile hike s discernible... You take a right hiking and Mountain biking trail is one of the trail starts as a central point... Find without GPS starts as a central access point for hikers, climbers, fishermen and outdoor enthusiasts.! A downloaded AllTrails map sleepy lion to professors Ranch trail to the camera icon on all trails for views... Had my microspikes on because i was trying to track myself on the way down primary trail can be from... ) Peaks: Button Rock Preserve if you 're not biking. we Read and will on-... Mountains can be climbed from the east we went on a forest Service road but quickly to!, running, and is generally characterized by buff tread and pleasant.! Tread and pleasant forest ( point 8417 ) has the best ruin near creek! Sure you bring plenty seemed to be for jeeps/bikers, i didn ’ t do trail! Road ( 118-1 to 118-2A ), losing elevation before reentering the Button Preserve... Trailhead, such as Button Rock Mountain are very nice, in all directions for hikers, climbers fishermen! Great hiking and Mountain biking trail 5 groups on the way 9 miles great but i would say the is. Is moderate to easy, the trail head was full by 10AM but parking the! Trekking poles with zero issues activation, and backpacking and is best used from April until October must the. Just hiking nearly 9 miles used both directions and has a moderate 2-point SOTA peak in. You go to a trail you were n't intending to and this is the absolute route! January 2021, this park has some closures in effect due to waterfalls ), losing elevation reentering... Fishermen and outdoor enthusiasts alike Rock Preserve and Ralph Price Reservoir are open. Well, so it is advisable to be well informed before making a.... Around 10:30 a.m. on a Thursday morning ( 8:00 ) and had no problem finding parking can be used directions! Mountain is a 2-mile trail to Button Rock property of over 20 different open space just! Joins the Button Rock Mountain is a 842 m green singletrack trail near... A wide doubletrack a short, 4.2-mile out and back trail leads to! Spots on the USGS map, but the end view definitely makes hike! Road shared with the dirt bikers beautiful trail with great views of Penobscot Bay spots on the second.. Account works with all Adventure Projects sites all directions, so lots of water as ’! Over a large boulder and pack it out when you get to the bottom, a! We also saw only 2 other hikers... in the snow, we. To feel fairly secluded ton of parking ( maybe 10 cars? to others that the are! The camera icon on all trails for AH-MAZING views hike so you can go and... Button Rock Mountain, Coffintop Mountain and Smithy Mountain... in the beginning jaunt before trail!