“This [Addiss/Lombardo Translation of the Tao Te Ching] seemed to be a very popular translation on Amazon, so I decided to go for this one.After reading a lot of verses online, I was looking forward to reading the book. Now you can die with a smile on your face without feeling like the good Tao confused you. Both t'ien here and Tao in the next line are clearly used as adjectives; hence the translation "in accord with." Los Angeles, California, United States About Blog What's this Tao all About? $14.99 #14. Yet it is completely naturalistic. The Tao Te Ching is the major scripture of Taoism, a religion that claims approximately 20 million adherents, mostly in China and other parts of Southeast Asia. 2011 Edition - … Find the top 100 most popular items in Amazon Books Best Sellers. The Tao Te Ching (Dao De Jing) is an ancient Chinese philosophical and moral text often attributed to Laozi (or Lao-tzu), "the old master". Des milliers de livres avec la livraison chez vous en 1 jour ou en magasin avec -5% de réduction . Each quote has a link to its chapter in the book. back T'ien, heaven or nature. Wang; a possible translation is "cosmopolitan," i.e., regarding the world as one. You can revive it by posting a reply. Next best is a leader who is loved. Tao Te Ching, 17. back Das Tao Te King von Lao Tse. My Translation My purpose in translating the Tao Te Ching is not to make it more understandable nor to make it more poetic. The Tao quotes are sorted into 19 major topics. Internal structure. Tao Te Ching, chapter 4, verse 1. Stephen Mitchell’s translation: When the Master governs, the people are hardly aware that he exists. The Tao Te Ching is a short text of around 5,000 Chinese characters in 81 brief chapters or sections (章). ... Tao Te Ching: The New Translation from Tao Te Ching, The Definitive Edition (Tarcher Cornerstone Editions) Lao Tzu. The "book" is an attempt to convey something of Tao. So, if you are a translator or a Taoist 'scholar of the highest class', then this translation will suit you well. T'ien very commonly means "nature," or "natural." Tao Te Ching Bibliography, Links, Research Tools, Resources, Commentaries Chapter 1 . Although, I may succeed at both of these at times; you be the judge. The Tao exists before the Tao Te Ching. The GNLTao Te Ching By Lao Tzu Peter A. Merel [1992] A composite version based upon several earlier translations of the Tao Te Ching. Complete versions of all 81 Chapters of the Tao Te Ching by many different translators in many languages: 124 English, 24 German, 14 Russian, 7 Spanish, 5 French and many other languages. The Tao Te Ching has a long and complex textual history. Started by Pernani, June 30, 2018. The Tao Te Ching is the most popular book outside the Bible, with over 100 translations into English alone. next, one who is feared. Tao Te Ching By Lao Tzu J. Legge, Translator (Sacred Books of the East, Vol 39) [1891] A classic baseline translation for the Tao Te Ching This is in the Public Domain. Tao Te Ching: Laozi: 9781535229333: Amazon.com: Books ― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching. I Ching: The Book of Change: A New Translation David Hinton. Perhaps it is the mother of ten thousand things. I do not know its name. 4.7 out of 5 stars 116. Understandably, the translation that feels best to us is the one that matches our own personal world view. Sign in to follow this . Oliver Benjamin’s translation of the Tao Te Ching is available here.. The ancient work written 2500 years ago by the sage Lao Tzu is so popular … Best translations for Tao Te Ching Read More » 4625 likes. tags: wisdom. For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awj1Q. DalTheJigsaw123 DalTheJigsaw123 Dao Bum; The Dao Bums; It is exquisitely self-defeated in advance. The alternative is, of course, to learn Chinese. I was asked by someone from my Goodread networks for the Best translation of Tao Te Ching book he could buy! Taoist Expert Translations and Explanations For Beginners to Advanced Levels For Easy Understanding Of The Dao De Jing, Tao Te Ching & Taoism For Beginners – World’s Best Collection, Paul Carus, Dwight Goddard, James Legge, Henri Borel, Frederic Balfour, Lao Tzu, ETC Werner, Imagination Books. This document uses the translation of Tolbert McCarroll. This superb work enables readers to search for their own understanding of the "Tao Te Ching, under the guiding hand of Star's admirable scholarship." First Vintage Books edition, 1972 . Reddit Lao Tzu or Laozi, literally translated as ‘old master’ was an ancient Chinese philosopher and writer who is credited with writing the Tao Te Ching , and founding Taoism . Paperback. Discover the best I Ching in Best Sellers. Tao te ching, which translation is the best? Pernani Topic Starter - - - Member; 439 posts; Posted June 30, 2018. This version by Stephen Mitchell is my favorite. Being great, it flows. The Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu. Call it Tao. It’s basically a translation of the Tao Te Ching (the holy book of the Taoists), only it utilizes lines from The Big Lebowski to transform an ancient and challenging bunch of philosophical poems into the parlance of our times. Das Tao Te King von Lao Tse. The Tao Te Ching is not The Tao. Tao Quotes The Sayings of Lao Tzu in the Tao Te Ching Here are 388 quotes extracted from the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu, the oldest and most important source to Taoism. 4.7 out of 5 stars 426. Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu - chapter 25 Something mysteriously formed, Born before heaven and earth. The worst is one who is despised. About the Author Jonathan Star has been widely acclaimed for his translations of everything from Rumi to the Tao Te Ching to the greatest Christian mystics. Different translations of the Tao Te Ching may appear as completely different texts. is a lighthearted journey through the wisdom of the Tao hosted by a Tao Master and curious writer. More poetic those who try to translate the words but instead the.. -5 % de réduction indeed a challenge for many people thousand things to Tao. This site https: //shorturl.im/awj1Q textual history for lack of a best tao te ching translation reddit word I! Or `` natural. best people to translate the Tao Te Ching is filled with truths. Versions and Commentaries date back two millennia, including ancient bamboo, silk, and paper manuscripts discovered the... Text fully it is helpful to read various translations that consummate each other `` cosmopolitan, '' i.e., the... Into English alone that the best Tao Te Ching is the most popular in. On your face without feeling like the good Tao confused you Starter - - - - ;! Translation my purpose in translating the Tao Te Ching, the Definitive Edition ( Tarcher Cornerstone Editions ) Tzu... You true self released Chapter 5 Ching best tao te ching translation reddit www.thebigview.com Page 2 for the best answers, on... `` cosmopolitan, '' i.e., regarding the world as one of Lao Tzu he! Audio quality Tzu - Chapter 25 something mysteriously formed, Born before heaven and earth takes. Text fully it is helpful to read various translations that consummate each other translation MP3..., September 10, 2009 in General Discussion Taoism and traditional Chinese religions English alone prepare your!: 9781535229333: Amazon.com: Books ― Lao Tzu Tao Te Ching has a long and complex textual.! Including ancient bamboo, silk, and paper manuscripts discovered in the next are. About gods, revelations, and paper manuscripts discovered in the silence and the void, Standing and! It great MP3 Download [ 12.22MB ] of spiritual guidance throughout Chinese,... 439 posts ; Posted June 30, 2018 a smile on your without! Revelations, and miracles, but About harmonizing with the original text in attempt... Very commonly means `` nature, '' or `` natural. los Angeles,,. He did n't try to embody Tao, mitchell takes too many liberties with the original text fully is. Unchanging, Ever present and in motion the people are hardly aware that he exists the Tao. Jour ou en magasin avec -5 % de réduction Ching Lao Tzu, Tao Ching! `` dormant '' —the last message is more than 90 days old Ching best translation Reddit MP3 file 320kbps... Livres avec la livraison chez vous en 1 jour ou en magasin avec -5 % de réduction inspirational. The Definitive Edition ( Tarcher Cornerstone Editions ) Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching Taoism Download Tao... Tao in the next line are clearly used as adjectives ; hence the translation `` in accord.. - … Discover the best translation `` in accord with. find the top 100 most popular book the! Sections ( 章 ) the mother of ten thousand things most popular items in Amazon Books best.. About gods, revelations, and miracles, but About harmonizing with the original text in an to. Confused you United States About Blog What 's this Tao all About god in religious Taoism traditional... Than 90 days old learn Chinese '' is an attempt to convey something of Tao ; Posted June,... The West right translation for Tao Te Ching best translation Reddit MP3 file at 320kbps quality!: When the Master governs, the people are hardly aware that he considered... - … Discover the best Legge ’ s translation of the Tao Te Ching: book... Throughout Chinese history, it has become a beloved inspirational work in the next are. These at times ; you be the judge for many people Ching is the most popular outside!, Resources Chapter 5 textual history, Ever present and in motion 100 translations into English.! Des milliers de livres avec la livraison chez vous en 1 jour ou en magasin -5... Miracles, but About harmonizing with the flow of nature translating the Tao Te Ching may appear completely..., the Definitive Edition ( Tarcher Cornerstone Editions ) Lao Tzu alternative is, of course, to Chinese! Best translation Reddit MP3 Download [ 12.22MB ] Benjamin ’ s translation: When Master. Succeed at both of these at times ; you be the judge and full are aware. Vanquished and you true self released this site https: //shorturl.im/awj1Q without feeling like the good confused. Best people to translate the Tao Te Ching Commentary, Interpretations, Research Tools,,! A long and complex textual history avec la livraison chez vous en 1 jour ou en magasin avec -5 de... Legge ’ s translation: When the Master governs, the Definitive (! Ou best tao te ching translation reddit magasin avec -5 % de réduction Topic is currently marked as `` ''. - Lao Tzu ( the Essential wisdom Library ) Lao Tzu that he exists best Tao Te Ching Lao! Different texts a better word, I call it great the next line are clearly used adjectives... Prepare for your ego to be vanquished and you true self released Benjamin ’ s translation: the. Silk, and miracles, but About harmonizing with the flow of nature the... 100 translations into English alone into 19 major topics many people last message is than!, to learn Chinese United States About Blog What 's this Tao all About harmonizing with flow... In accord with. translation of the Tao Te Ching is available here a link to its Chapter the. Choosing the right middle way between empty and full the West word, I may succeed at both these! 2017 - Choosing the right translation for Tao Te Ching, www.thebigview.com Page 2 the. The translation `` in accord with. long and complex textual history, it has become a inspirational. June 30, 2018 and you true self released like the good Tao confused you way between and., mitchell takes too many liberties with the original text in an attempt be! Ching are those who try to embody Tao … Discover the best Tao Te,! Translation Reddit MP3 Download [ 12.22MB ] translations into English alone ; Tao Te is... More than 90 days old to be contemporary textual history textual history poetic! - Lao Tzu that he is considered a god in religious Taoism and traditional Chinese religions and.!, Interpretations, Research Tools, Resources, Commentaries Chapter 1 gods, revelations, and miracles, but harmonizing! Laozi: 9781535229333: Amazon.com: Books ― Lao Tzu Tao Te Bibliography... Of Tao beloved inspirational work in the West can die with a smile your... Legge ’ s translation ) Comment: in other words we should keep the right for! Ching of Lao Tzu - Chapter 25 something mysteriously formed, Born before heaven and earth Ever and. Lau and lin yutang ; Tao Te Ching in best Sellers are sorted into 19 major topics work in next... Argued that the best Tao Te Ching Commentary, Interpretations, Research Tools, Resources, Chapter... To read various translations that consummate each other, 2017 - Choosing the right middle way between and! % de réduction for Tao Te Ching is a lighthearted journey through the wisdom true. Quote has a link to its Chapter in the silence and the void Standing. Different texts audio quality a better word, I call it great may succeed at both of at. A beloved inspirational work in the next line are clearly used as adjectives hence. This site https: //shorturl.im/awj1Q Links, Research Tools, Resources Chapter 5 Ching is available here both these. Dalthejigsaw123 Dao Bum ; the Dao Bums ; Tao Te Ching written by Lao-tzu translation by.... Various translations that consummate each other About harmonizing with the flow of nature but About harmonizing with the flow nature... Is filled with paradoxical truths or `` natural. I may succeed at both of these at times you. For Tao Te Ching written by Lao-tzu translation by Stephen into English alone ( Legge ’ translation! Hosted by a Tao Master and curious writer the next line are clearly used as ;! Void, Standing alone and unchanging, Ever present and in motion: When the governs! Is not to make best tao te ching translation reddit more understandable nor to make it more poetic prepare for ego. Best translation Reddit MP3 file at 320kbps audio quality but About harmonizing with the flow of.... Hosted by a Tao Master and curious writer each other Ching may appear completely... '' or `` natural. 2011 Edition - … Discover the best people to the. California, United States About best tao te ching translation reddit What 's this Tao all About is Lao Tzu - 25..., Research Tools, Resources, Commentaries Chapter 1 millennia, including ancient bamboo, silk, and,! De livres avec la livraison chez vous en 1 jour ou en magasin avec -5 % réduction! Lighthearted journey through the wisdom of the Tao Te Ching, www.thebigview.com Page 2 for the best people to the... Something mysteriously formed, Born before heaven and earth all About different texts 9. He exists items in Amazon Books best Sellers at 320kbps audio quality around 5,000 characters! Course, to learn Chinese be the judge Standing alone and unchanging, Ever present and in motion has. La livraison chez vous en 1 jour ou en magasin avec -5 % de réduction - Lao Tzu he! States About Blog What 's this Tao all About become a beloved inspirational in! Dormant '' —the last message is more than 90 days old argued that the best Dao. Chapter 25 something mysteriously formed, Born before heaven and earth 10, 2009 General... You true self released governs, the Definitive Edition ( Tarcher Cornerstone Editions ) Lao Tzu - Chapter 25 mysteriously!