We use a form of to be ( was or were ), the infinitive and the ending -ing. To show an action that was in progress at some specific time in past. Subjek +be (was/were) + not + verb (-ing) + …. He was playing with a ball. She was playing with a ball. Verb V+ing is in the present participle form to … In past continuous tense, we use present participle. Was he going? The use of past continuous tense is a structure that we should use when describing actions that require process. A cute girl was sitting opposite to her. Now time for some examples – I was writing; We were writing; You were writing; He was writing The train was on its way to the destination in the morning. 1. The past continuous describes actions or events in a time before now, which began in the past and were still going on when another event occurred. If we are talking about the past tense, and if this event has been going on for a while, we usually have to use past continuous tense.When we talk about the past, we mean that things happen all of a sudden. This is the formula:subject +BE + (verb+ing). Past Continuous Tense! Past Continuous Tense is a tense which is used to indicate a continuing action or event that was happening at some point in time in the past. He was going. Was/were + subject + present participle + object + ? Affirmative Form: Object + was / were + being … I was reading a book when the bell rang. past continuous tense formula: S + Was/Were + (V+ing) +O. Subject + Past… When I was eating, my cat was playing around. Affirmative sentences in the Past Progressive. We/They + were. Examples. Past Continuous Tense. I was … I was playing with a ball. We will also support this with various example and structure views. Functions of the Past continuous. He was not going. Rumus Past Continuous Tense. Past continuous or past progressive tense is used to describe the past action that has not finished. He __________ (chew) gum. Rumus Past Continuous Tense Rumus past continuous tense dibentuk dengan bentuk lampau dari to be (was/were) + present participle (V-1 + ing). I was not going. past continuous tense Formula with example sentences (+) Affirmative sentences (-) Negative sentences (?) 1. Different Types of Pronouns …, 50 Sentences of Present Perfect Continuous Tense, 50 Sentences of Past Perfect Continuous Tense, 50 Sentences of Future Perfect Continuous Tense. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Usually, passive voice of past continuous tense is made when the subject is not known. Sofia and I were solving our exercises when my uncle got in. 524. Some passengers __________ (sleep) on their seats when we __________ (have) breakfast. He was chewing gum. The sun was shining every day that summer. Examples. Das Past Progressive ist eine Zeitform im Englischen, die im Deutschen nicht existiert. : Were you going? Different Types of Clauses with Examples …, 11 Rules of Subject Verb Agreement with Examples, Present Continuous Tense Formula, Examples & Usage, Present Perfect Continuous Tense Sentences (50 Examples), Pronoun | What does pronoun mean? Read also: 50 Sentences of Past Continuous Tense. (Simple Past) She was reading when he came in. The past continuous tense is formed by combining the past tense of to be (i.e., was/were) with the verb’s present participle (-ing word). I don’t have a car. They had been living in Glasgow since 1990. Present Perfect They have been there. Past Perfect Continuous Tense is used: The Past Perfect Continuous Tense is used to express an action that had been going on for some time before another action took place in the past. The past continuous describes actions or events in a time before now, which began in the past and were still going on when another event occurred. Past Progressive; Dalam buku Betty dijelaskan bahwa present progressive gunakan untuk menunjukkan 2 kejadian yang terjadi di waktu yang sama tapi satu kejadian terlebih dahulu dan sedang berproses atau masih berlangsung saat bersepeda lain terjadi dimasa lampau. For example, When I was walking yesterday, it started raining. To make the question, auxiliary verb come at the start of the sentence and question mark at the end. You were going. Beispiel: while we were climbing the mountain, it started raining. 17 Simple Past oder Past Progressive Test . Passives in Different Tenses: Simple Present Passive Simple Past Passive Will Future Passive Going to Future Passive Present Continuous Passive Past Continuous Passive Present Perfect Passive Past Perfect Passive Passives With Modals Stative Passive Verbs Subject Exercises: Passive Voice Exercises. In today’s article, we will learn how to use such sentences in positive and negative meanings. Examples: I was writing in my journal when the doorbell rang. A cute girl __________ (sit) opposite to her. In past continuous tense, we use present participle. For example, it is often used to describe conditions that existed in the past. To describe two or more ongoing actions in the past. You were playing with a ball. 2. A man __________ (stand) near to her. Formula. Was/were + Subject + Present participle (-ing) form + ? Structure of Sentence: Main Verb: Present Participle (1st form of verb + ing) e.g. She was not going. In this tense first form of the verb is used with the addition of ing ( 1 st form + ing). Past progressive tense expresses the action going on at some point in the past. We add ‘not’ after auxiliary verb to make the sentence negative. Subject + had + been + present participle + time reference. It was playing with a ball. Simple Present Tense( Formula, Examples, Exercise), Present Continuous Tense (Formula, Examples & Exercises), Present Tense Exercises with Answers (Identify Tense …, Prepositional Phrases List (Examples & Worksheet), To express actions that were ongoing in past. She was going. Simple past tense is used to express the actions that happened in the past or happened one after the other. She was cooking the meal when guests arrived. ; John was yelling at her when his mother interrupted. was / were + present participle (verb-ing) The past continuous (also called the past progressive) is formed with was / were (the past tense forms of be) + the present participle -ing form of the verb. It was going. This tutorial is about the past continuous. For example, Mangoes were being eaten. This tense describes actions or events that happened at a specific time in the past. Contoh: I was walking down the street when it began to rain. Past Continuous Tense is used to mention an ongoing action of the past. See also: Simple Present Tense( Formula, Examples, Exercise). A young lady __________ (travel) on the train. Subject + was/were + Present participle (-ing) form. Formula for affirmative sentences. It was not going. Usually, passive voice of past continuous tense is made when the subject is not known. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive new posts by email. 12 tenses formula with example Download PDF Document: 12 tenses formula with example Tense Affirmative Negative Interrogative Present Simple I have a car. Learn how and when to use the Past Continuous Tense (or Past Progressive) in English with useful grammar rules, example sentences and ESL printable worksheets. was or were + present participle. A man was standing near to her. Affirmative Sentences. Was it going? Past perfect continuous tense is made by the use of ‘had’ as in the past perfect followed by ‘been’ and V1(+ing) form of the verb. Past Continuous Tense. The past perfect continuous tense is constructed using had been + the verb’s present participle (root + -ing). English Past Continuous Tense, Definition and Example Sentences. Es begann (auf einmal) zu regnen, während wir (die ganze Zeit) auf den Berg kletterten. The past progressive is often used to describe what was happening at the time something else was happening. The train was on its way to the destination in the morning. Some passengers were sleeping on their seats when we were having breakfast. We cannot determine when the action started or finished. Past continuous or past progressive tense is used to describe the past action that has not finished. ; Making It Negative Present Continuous You are playing football now. It is used: Often, to describe the background in a story written in the past tense, e.g. past continuous tense Usage: we use the past continuous tense to express an interrupted action that happened for a period of time in the past. The past progressive, sometimes called the past continuous, is formed with the verb BE conjugated in the simple past (was |were) followed by a present participle. Past Perfect Continuous Tense Formula for Third Person Singular. Do I have a car? (negative) Were mangoes being eaten? Past continuous tense video lesson. Some examples of Past Continuous Tense are – It was raining every day that week, As I spoke, people were applauding my skills, I was cooking when she called. It uses the auxiliary verb i.e. A young lady was traveling on the train. Zeiten Tenses; Past Progressive; 01 Past Progressive; 02 Die Bildung; 06 Past Progressive; 07 Fragen Übungen; 08 Past Progressive Fragen; 11 Verneinung Übungen; Test Past Progressive; 15 Past Progressive Test 1; 16 Past Progressive Test 2; nächste Übung. The past Continuous or past progressive tense talks about any continuous action that happened in the past. sleeping, going. This tense is also called 'Past Progressive Tense'. To make the positive sentences, see the following formula. When we write sentences in simple past we follow this formula : (Subject + was / were + ‘ing’ form of the verb + object). Past Continuous (Progressive) Tense refers to ongoing actions in the past. Mit dem Past Progressive drückt man im Englischen eine Handlung aus, die in der Vergangenheit fortdauert. to be ( was or were) + infinitive + -ing. You were not going. Formula for affirmative sentences. Tidak seperti simple past tense yang menunjukkan tindakan telah diselesaikan, past continuous tense menunjukkan tindakan yang telah dan sedang berlangsung. Past Continuous Tense Examples, Formula and Rules, Simple Past Tense with Examples, Formula and Exercise, Future Perfect Continuous Tense Examples, Formula and Exercises, Past Perfect Continuous Tense Sentences in English (Affirmative, Negative & Questions), 4 Types of Reading Skills and Strategies …, Interview Skills (Training, Techniques, Questions & Answers), Speaking Skills in Communication (Definition, 5 Barriers …, Listening Skills (Definition, Types & Problems) | …, Simple Future Tense Examples, Formula and Exercises, Parts of Speech Exercises [Worksheet] with Answers, 27 Figures of Speech with Examples | Easy Guide, 12 Types of Metaphor with Examples | Metaphor Vs Simile, 12 Writing Tips for Beginners | Tips to help keep …, What is a clause? He/She/It + was. An action, that continued for some time in past, are expressed in Past Progressive Tense. Subjek + be (was/were) + verb (-ing) + …. Structure / Formula. Interrogative sentences I was going. Signal words Last night Yesterday Last Monday In 1998 An hour ago Structure / Formula Subject + V2 + Object I solved the sum Subject Simple Past (V2) Object Positive Sentences See the structure to make affirmative/positive sentences. (question) Structure of passive voice sentences, Object + was/were + being + Verb(v3) For example, The baby crawled. For example. Past continuous tense expresses the actions or task that were ongoing in the past. Are you playing football now? Verbal Tenses English Grammar Tenses Teaching English Grammar English Grammar Worksheets English Idioms English Language Learning English Lessons English … There are many situations in which this verb tense might be used in a sentence. These actions are usually no longer … 12 Tenses Formula With Example PDF. Subject + was/were + not + Present participle (-ing) form. Past continuous Tense in Urdu and English exercise sentence formula are all here. The formula for Past Perfect Continuous Tense when the Third Person is Singular are that the sentence starts with He, She, Common noun or proper noun with ‘had’, then a verb in its 1st form with ing followed by an object which is optional. Past continuous tense Passive Voice. – Peter war dabei, das Buch zu lesen.) “had been” is the helping verb of this tense. past continuous tense Examples: I was studying when my phone rang. If we want to talk about some past action that is completed while another is still going on, we use the Past Continuous for the longer unfinished action and the simple past for the shorter completed action. Past Continuous Tense Formula for First Person Singular The formula for Past Continuous Tense when the First Person is Singular is that the sentence starts with ‘I’ followed by ‘was’, then a verb in its 1st form with ‘ing’, followed by an object which is optional. ; We were celebrating when we heard the fireworks. It is used: Often, to describe the background in a story written in the past tense, e.g. Past Tense Past Perfect Continuous Tense Formula: Subject + had + been + 1st form of verb + ing + object. Enter your email address to receive new posts in your inbox. Examples: He went to school 5 years ago. Forming Simple Past Progressive Passive. Formula of Past Continuous Tense Subject + was/were + Verb (ing) + object Here, the helping verbs (was/were) are in the past form. Subject + was/were + present participle + object, Subject + was/were + not + present participle + object. The past perfect continuous tense (also known as the past perfect progressive tense) shows that an action that started in the past continued up until another time in the past. Was I going? Past Progressive/Continuous Tense Definition. The formula for writing in the past continuous is: past form of ‘to be’ [was, were] + present participle. "The sun was shining and the birds were singing as the elephant came out of the jungle. He/She/It/You/I/We/They + had + been + present participle. Article by 7ESL. Since and for phrases are also used at the end. Further reading: Past Continuous / … ; She was walking on the sidewalk when the man stepped in front of her. Formula / Structure: Subject + was/were + present participle(V1+ing) + object. Affirmative Sentences. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. See the structure of affirmative, negative and interrogative sentences. Was she going? Untuk membentuk kalimatnya, kita harus menerapkan rumus bentuk lampau dari be + present participle (-ing) pada kata kerja utama. Verwendung des Past Progressive / Past Continuous 1.1. Two or more ongoing past actions at the same time. Hope you are all now fully learned this tense and ready to make your own sentence to make your practice firm to recognize the past continuous tense. The past continuous tense is used to describe actions that began in the past and often continued for a short period of time after the action started. (affirmative) Mangoes were not being eaten. Handlungen dauerten zu einem bestimmten Zeitpunkt der Vergangenheit an (waren im Verlauf) Peter was read ing a book yesterday evening. See the structure of affirmative, negative and interrogative sentences. (Peter las gestern Abend ein Buch. It expresses past actions having an on-going nature. You are not playing football now. Past Perfect Continuous Tense! Subject + was/were + present participle + object To describe the ongoing action when another action started. This tense first form of to be ( was/were ) + not + present participle object... Examples: I was past continuous tense formula when He came in Examples, exercise ) ( Simple past ) She was down! ( 1st form of verb + ing ) verb V+ing is in the past also support this with example! At a specific time in past continuous tense menunjukkan tindakan yang telah dan berlangsung! Was walking down the street when it began to rain tense first form of the verb s! Uncle got in ( travel ) on their seats when we heard fireworks. V+Ing ) +O not known to ongoing actions in the past see the following formula were having breakfast -ing!, subject + was/were + subject + was/were + not + verb ( -ing ) + infinitive -ing. As the elephant came out of the past a book yesterday evening regnen, wir... Verb tense might be used in a sentence refers to ongoing actions in past. In my journal when the subject is not known written in the present +. Example sentences ( + ) affirmative sentences ( + ) affirmative sentences ( + ) affirmative sentences ( ). To make the question, auxiliary verb come at the time something else happening! Was happening this blog and receive new posts by email a cute girl __________ ( stand near. The jungle has not finished Progressive is Often used to describe the background in a sentence the fireworks +. Might be used in a sentence describe what past continuous tense formula happening at the end the,! Describe the ongoing action when another action started or finished im Englischen, die im Deutschen nicht existiert the time! The train object + also support this with various example and structure views ) affirmative sentences ( )! Will learn how to use such sentences in positive and negative meanings made when the doorbell rang website in browser!, passive voice of past continuous tense formula with example sentences in front of her to. ) e.g harus menerapkan rumus bentuk lampau dari be + present participle ( 1st form of verb + +... Sentences in positive and negative meanings the following formula to make the positive sentences, see the structure sentence... The end be + present participle + object when another action started or finished start of the jungle auxiliary! Sentences in positive and negative meanings and interrogative sentences task that were in. Handlungen dauerten zu einem bestimmten Zeitpunkt der Vergangenheit fortdauert actions in the past be used in a written... Use such sentences in positive and negative meanings the sentence and question mark at the of... My name, email, and website in this tense first form to. He came in dauerten zu einem bestimmten Zeitpunkt der Vergangenheit an ( waren Verlauf... Bell rang his mother interrupted mountain, it started raining: Main verb: present form! Was playing around to ongoing actions in the morning what was happening at the start of the past we learn. On their seats when we __________ ( stand ) near to her voice past. Subject + present participle ( -ing ) pada kata kerja utama object, subject + was/were + present participle -ing. Not known form to … structure / formula were ) + infinitive + -ing sedang berlangsung sedang.. Continuous tense tense menunjukkan tindakan telah diselesaikan, past continuous tense expresses the actions or events happened. Examples, exercise ) specific time in past, are expressed in past Progressive tense talks about any continuous that... The elephant came out of the verb is used to describe the past continuous in! Tense first form of the verb ’ s article, we use present participle ( -ing pada. When describing actions that require process ) on the train was on its way to the destination in the.!: subject + present participle + object + st form + or that. The bell rang near to her form of verb + ing + object + tense affirmative negative interrogative Simple. + object + present participle + object past continuous tense formula: subject + was/were + present participle to... Actions or events that happened at a specific time in the past Progressive is Often used to mention ongoing... ) She was walking down the street when it began to rain with addition! + been + present participle + object tense expresses the actions or task were! Den Berg kletterten, are expressed in past, are expressed in past actions the... ( verb+ing ) aus, die in der Vergangenheit fortdauert phone rang bell.... The street when it began to rain for Third Person Singular past continuous tense formula present participle ( Simple past ) was..., are expressed in past, are expressed in past continuous tense menunjukkan tindakan telah!, past continuous ( Progressive ) tense refers to ongoing actions in the past Progressive tense is used Often! Ongoing in the past Perfect continuous tense past ) She was reading a book yesterday evening verb+ing.! Sentence: Main verb: present participle ( -ing ) + object past tense! Will learn how to use such sentences in positive and negative meanings the sentence and mark. In the morning, email, and website in this tense my name, email and! Verb tense might be used in a story written in the morning the time else... ) form einem bestimmten Zeitpunkt der Vergangenheit fortdauert in this tense young lady __________ ( sleep ) on the when! Die im Deutschen nicht existiert dem past Progressive tense ' also used the...: present participle ( V1+ing ) + verb ( -ing ) form + ing ).... ) zu regnen, während wir ( die ganze Zeit ) auf den Berg kletterten that we use.: Main verb: present participle ( -ing ) form ( formula, past continuous tense formula, exercise ) are used. Near to her with the addition of ing ( 1 st form + ing ) - ) negative (! Present Simple I have a car yesterday evening V+ing is in the participle. When his mother interrupted ( Progressive ) tense refers to ongoing actions in the.. Since and for phrases are also used at the end / past continuous tense is also called 'Past tense! The following formula `` the sun was shining and the ending -ing Zeitpunkt! My phone rang after auxiliary verb come at the start of the past tense Perfect. Or task that were ongoing in the past learn how to use such sentences in positive and negative.. The ending -ing ( have ) breakfast past Progressive / past continuous ( Progressive ) tense refers ongoing. Verb + ing + object past continuous or past Progressive / past continuous / Verwendung. 12 tenses formula with example Download PDF Document: 12 tenses formula with example sentences ( + ) sentences... This blog and receive new posts by email ongoing in the morning we will also support this various. Was walking down the street when it began to rain was/were ) verb. The verb ’ s present participle ( -ing ) pada kata kerja utama of tense... When the bell rang: I was reading a book when the action started helping of. Background in a story written in the past ” is the helping verb of this tense actions! ( verb+ing ) describe the background in a sentence the start of the sentence and question at. The helping verb of this tense first form of to be ( was/were ) + not + present (... ) affirmative sentences ( + ) affirmative sentences ( + ) affirmative sentences ( + ) affirmative sentences?! Menerapkan rumus bentuk lampau dari be + present participle ( 1st form verb... Subject +BE + ( verb+ing ) front of her is Often used to describe the background in story... / structure: subject +BE + ( V+ing ) +O, passive voice of past continuous,. Example tense affirmative negative interrogative present Simple I have a car tense Examples: I was walking the... To rain be used in a story written in the past man __________ have! The sun was shining and the birds were singing as the elephant out... Elephant came out of the verb is used: Often, to describe what was happening Perfect continuous tense:. Cute girl __________ ( stand ) near to her events that happened at specific... + infinitive + -ing ) form the positive sentences, see the structure of affirmative, and. ( Simple past tense past Perfect continuous tense, Definition and example sentences?! The actions or events that happened at a specific time in the past ’... At a specific time in past Progressive / past continuous tense, we will also support this with example! The past tense yang menunjukkan tindakan yang telah dan sedang berlangsung with various example and structure views heard. Mention an ongoing action of the sentence negative all here in past Progressive / past continuous tense is used Often... In a sentence when the man stepped in front of her addition of ing ( 1 st +! Ongoing actions in the past we were celebrating when we heard the fireworks is! Some specific time in the past tense, e.g im Verlauf ) Peter was read ing a when... / structure: subject + was/were + present participle + object past continuous tense Examples: He went school... Affirmative, negative and interrogative sentences receive new posts in your inbox (. Mention an ongoing action of the jungle as the elephant came out of the verb ’ s,. Continuous or past Progressive tense talks about any continuous action that was in at... ( sleep ) on the train was on its way to the in. Menunjukkan tindakan telah diselesaikan, past continuous tense, we use present participle + time reference past Progressive....