Use about 1 part of the perlite to 2 parts, or even 3 parts, of the potting soil. Thanks Click to expand... Promix is a great soilless medium. Miracle-Gro 25 qt. The mix feeds the plants continuously for 6 months. The texture kind of sucks. But, miracle gro puts so much in there, the soil becomes hydrophobic very quickly: it becomes like an old sponge that no longer has the ability to absorb. Miracle-Gro amazon.com. Dr. Earth Exotic & Succulent Potting Mix. I figured moisture control would be good for drainage, but it seems to be the opposite and retaining all water and staying wet like a sponge. A place for the best guides, pictures, and discussions of all things related to plants and their care. I scooped the floaters from the surface and used what was on the bottom for my tank. Purchased a 25qt bag of Miracle-Gro potting soil to repot house plants, after planting the plants stopped growing. As far as potting media for Monstera deliciosa goes, I like to use a good potting mix, such as Miracle Gro Indoor Potting Mix but I also like to mix in some #3 size perlite. If so, what should I mix in to help avoid root rot? As a recommendation, if you can start a compost pile, either out back or in a bin with worms, you can start making your own dirt for free from your own veggie scraps. Straight Garden Soil. Miracle grow moisture control is an acceptable soil for non-rigorous applications, IMHO. One of the bigger issues with synthetics is that many people apply more fertilizer than their plants need, and if the fertilizer has a rapid rate of release, then the fertilizer runs off into the water table. Oct 6, 2019 #1 Don’t be ashamed...who uses MG nutes? (I'm in Vancouver, Canada btw). Moisture control is usually described in the bag as retaining moisture. Overview & Benefits . Will mix in some perlite once it dries out, thanks. Whats wrong with synthetic? J232 Well-Known Member. It holds up to 33% more water than normal soil, yet it won’t hold too much water, either. Miracle-Gro® Moisture Control® Potting Mix. It still depends on the manufacture from which it came. report. Re: Miracle-Gro® Organic Choice® Potting Mix My only experience has been with Happy Frog and Ocean Forest. Because it’s a unique blend of Miracle?Gro plant food and coconut coir fiber, a compact, lightweight, easy?to?carry and easy?to?store bag of Expand ‘n Gro can do everything a big, heavy bag of soil can do, only better. Miracle-Gro Moisture Control potting mix killing my plants? So to help you fill up your pots with the best growing medium for your plants here's a quick overview of some of the different types you can use. You may find yourself needing to add more fertilizer later in the season. I haven't grown in it yet but I just mixed/prepped the soil. I've done 2 dirt tank's with miracle grow organic potting mix. You have a Scotts and a MG Lawn Prod. They use highly-soluble ingredients, so the more you water, the more quickly the nutrients will wash out. You can always mix in more perlite to other mixes. Miracle-Gro Moisture Control potting mix killing my plants? When you add stuff like miracle gro you're basically just putting chemicals and water into your soil. Indoor Potting Soil Mix (207) Model# 72776430 $ 4 97. $9.99 BUY NOW. What kind of worms would I use? most people confuse defeciencies with toxicity when it comes to miracle grow , i did too , you need to ad micro nutrients and i would lime too . 0. Miracle-Gro 16-Quart That is the best soil for growing auto flowering. I Scotts is usually the lowes, hd. Space seeds 1 inch apart. For both tank's I soaked the dirt for about a week and stirred occasionally. The plants are looking healthy-ish but could be better. If you use the Miracle Gro, commercial product their instructions expect you to keep adding more and more of their chemical fertilizer. Premium potting soil for indoor and outdoor container plants. Garden soil, Potting Mix, Organic fertilizers, all were more expensive than the Kellog's Brand and all produced lower yields and less vigorous growth than the Kellogg counterpart. You can also add coconut coir for less water retention and better drainage. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Miracle Gro All Purpose Potting Mix 25 Quart Potting Soil Mix in the Soil department at Lowes com . 3.3 602. Learn More. Best Soil For Pots. What We Don’t Like About Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix and All Purpose Plant Food . I’ve read these plants like drainage and to dry out. save. Didn't have a problem with bugs from the soil but did get little flys after a few months. hide. Add more perlite to get more drainage. If you up-pot before planting out, I would seek out a potting soil with some good long-release macro-nutrient sources and composted organic matter. Miracle-Gro 74978500 Seed Starting Potting Mix If you’re looking for an excellent product to start your seeds off right, Miracle-Gro is always a top choice. I've got a lot of learning to do as this is my first time ever planting ANYTHING. mineral content - the various sizes of sand, gravel, clay, biological content - bacteria, worms, bugs, chemical nutrients - basically what you're asking about. Isn't that just as good? Miracle-Gro® Liquafeed® All Purpose Plant Food Advance Starter Kit . Miracle Gro, anyone? I also noticed if monsteras are planted to high they won't hold up and the outside stems will droop because they haven't but the root structure to hold on well. 0756783. $13.99 BUY NOW. A place for the best guides, pictures, and discussions of all things related to plants and their care. Improve soil nutrition and drainage by adding Miracle-Gro® Performance Organics® All Purpose In-Ground Soil (in-ground), Miracle-Gro® Performance Organics® All Purpose Container Mix (containers) or Miracle-Gro® Performance Organics® Raised Bed Mix (raised bed). I've seen pothos survive the moisture-control mix, but even the normally unkillable dracaenas often succumb to it. ( that's just what I heard, correct me of I'm wrong.). 0. If only the big boxes sold pro-mix or sunshine. What We Like About Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix and All Purpose Plant Food. The manufacturer’s tests have proven that plant size is double when using Miracle-Gro over unfed plants. It takes time, but good soil is gold. Re: Miracle-Gro® Organic Choice® Potting Mix Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix If using the specified MG. Press J to jump to the feed. Plastic Planters. Hit up your library for books on basic botany and agriculture and maybe on soil. Close. I always recommend Agriculture for Beginners. I would stick to a soil bought at any hydro store I've personally used ocean forest and happy frog both work great. The leaves went limp. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. How to Propagate a Plant in … Miracle-Gro Moisture Control 25 qt. This provides the right balance between too dry and too moist for your plants. It's, as the title implies, Miracle Gro Nature's Care Organic Potting mix with Water Conserve. Reactions: Seawood. Potting Soil Mix (3618) Model# 72781430 $ 9 97. Thread starter Seawood; Start date Oct 6, 2019; Seawood Well-Known Member. Learn More. Thus, different soil Obviously I'm new to r/gardening, and i'm sorry if these sound like a stupid questions. I recommend getting your flair - see the right hand column. Miracle-Gro Succulent Potting Mix is specially made to grow a wide variety of indoor potted succulents. Related Products. I'm an idiot and need to keep it simple. It's very solid and while there are updated and more efficient methods than are in the book, nothing in it is really wrong. Garden soil is a common option for your soil pot. 0. I may look into worms then. When you use compost you're adding humus, nutrients, bugs, worms, bacteria... just all kinds of THE MIRACLE OF NATURE. share. level 2 What will apply to your garden situation will depend on where you're located. "Moisture control" is code for "stays wetter, longer". Sounds like you need something more remedial than a few reddit blurbs. That sounds like a great idea! All Natural Orchid Potting Mix by Perfect Plants. Miracle gro all purpose potting mix 25 quart soil in the department at lowes com garden 75 cu ft 8 qt for indoor and outdoor container plants walmart inventory checker brickseek 1 5 organic raised bed performance organics ground 3. 100% Upvoted. The ratio of nutrients your plants need changes drastically between seedling and full flower, and marijuana needs a nutrient system to accommodate for those changing nutrient needs. potting mix; Miracle-Gro Gro-ables of your favorite fruit, vegetable, and/or herb pizza toppings; Steps: You can really use any un-decorated round planter as is or even just a round garden patch, but I thought I’d make a special “Pizza Planter” to up the fun factor for the kids. Hate it, too strong and full of chemicals. Just repotted my Monstera and Holly ferns in Miracle-Gro moisture control potting mix. This mix takes the guesswork out of watering. I set out googling it, but it seems there are different standards etc and I just gave up. Which in lower doses, can help retain just enough water, and cause an airy mix. Oct 6, 2019 #2 I have used both their soil & their nutrients in the past with good results . The main issue with MiracleGro is it provides one formula of nutrients used throughout a plant’s life cycle. Is this a problem? 5. The brand is very well known, so you can expect it to help your seeds grow big and strong. This will give you a nice airy potting soil that this plant loves! If you are a novice at raising plants and need some soil that is set up to go and will empower your plants always, paying little respect to whether you disregard to, by then this getting ready mix will be an unfathomable choice. The issue with using Miracle Grow is that, IIRC, your plants will start out great, but then the dirt will become depleted of nutrients due to the ingredients in their mix. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Agreed, but what do you recommend to a friend who just wants to dip their toe into gardening, or needs soil for a houseplant? and walmart carrier, NOT the actual MG manufacture brand. Spend your money on substance instead of fluff. Also, Is there anything you could add to Miracle Gro to make it better or just stear clear? I've seen a lot of posts about how Miracle Gro shouldn't be used because of synthetic fertilizers. Any luck with Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix? Inc. Axe Sickle amazon.com. I decided to give MGOCPM a try since it's cheaper. Miracle-Gro Moisture Control 8 qt. This fast-draining mix contains sphagnum peat moss, forest products, and Miracle-Gro Plant Food for premium nutrition to fertilize your favorite indoor succulent plants. It has nothing to do with drainage, and is all about catering to consumers who perceive that watering their houseplants is a tedious chore, and would like to do it less often, please. If only the big boxes sold pro-mix or sunshine. horribleherk Well-Known Member. This is a lot of work and, in my opinion, somewhat expensive. 3 3. Take them out, and repot them in a mix of 3 to 4 parts of the MG to 1 part of perlite. I make all my soils myself, but it's too much to ask of a beginner. I heard about worm tea for fertilizer as well, and some people swear by it. It’s great for new gardeners as it self-corrects over and under watering issues. Posted by 5 days ago. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. (But a stupid question is one that went unasked, right?) Organic fertilizers can do this too (like chilean nitrate) but most don't. Miracle-Gro® Potting Mix. That makes sense, so compost is definitely the way to go then! New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. 3 3. comments. They tend to mix in a fair amount of peat into the “cactus, palm and citrus” soil. level 1 these are in miracle grow 6 month feed potting soil and the mg nuted perlite , and i feed with dynagro every other day , today is day 50 of 12\12 . It's also widely available and much cheaper than the premium soils sold by hydroponics stores. I just called my LFS to see if they could possibly order any MGOPM (they do very specific orders and I can't find it ANYWHERE else) and I just basically got berated on the phone saying I was going to kill all of my fish. Wait until it's (finally) just about time to water them, then do it. If you’re planting containers, the best potting soil mix you can use is this Moisture Control Mix from Miracle-Gro. Avoid Miracle-Gro Soil for Growing Weed! Miracle-Gro Potting Mix, 16-Quart As the name suggests, using this soil mix is going to result in big plants. Question. So far, I think all of my problems are due to this soil. Weed plants go through several different stages through their growing cycle, from seedling to full flowering.In each of these stages, the plant needs a different combination of nutrients to ensure the best possible growth. Miracle-Gro’s objective is to deliver the perfect combination of nutrients, drainage, and airflow for maximum plant size. Potting Mix. Not really a big deal but it is one reason to keep it covered. Miracle-Gro 6 qt. Grows plants twice as big (versus unfed) and feeds for up to 6 months!-+ Pairs Nicely With. You will only need to apply compost or Miracle-Gro Potting Mix. Best Soil For Pot Plants Verdict. Miracle grow moisture control is an acceptable soil for non-rigorous applications, IMHO. Miracle-GRO Orchid Potting Mix. It is ok for general pot plants but usually you want to buy or make a customized mix for what you are growing in your pot. I can say without a doubt this is not even close to Fox Farm soil. If you want drainage buy a bag of perlite and mix it in at 1/3 of the whole mix proportion that way your roots have open dry space. its in regular yellow bag miracle gro potting mix, I have them in my back yard outside and the pots are 13" I think there 3-5 gallon pots not sure they don't say on the pots just says 13" my mom gave me them . I use it as part of my mix but add sand/manure/garden soil to get the consistency my plants need. Or do natural fertilizers work better/ better for the plant? So here it is promix or miracle grow and is bat guano going to get me by till harvest ? Perfect Plants Orchid Potting Mix is an all-natural … I make all my soils myself, but it's too much to ask of a beginner. Metasynth Well-Known Member. I've got tomatoes growing out of Miracle Gro, but now I'm wondering if I should have bought something else? Are worms expensive? Great for helping to grow happy and beautiful succulent varieties like Burro’s Tail, Echeveria and Houseleek. It's also widely available and much cheaper than the premium soils sold by hydroponics stores. This product is formulated specifically to help the roots grow and develop quickly. Apply approximately 1/4 inch of potting mix to your planter; As soon as you apply your fertilizer make sure to water the Bok Choyapproximately 15 to 30 seconds; Every week until harvest water your Bok Choy twice a day and keep it in full sun to promote fruit growth. He likes that Expand ‘n Gro Concentrated Planting Mix is different from basic potting and garden soils. When you pay for Miracle Grow, you are paying for all their advertising and fancy packaging. It has killed a lot of plants in the subreddit before this, and it will continue to kill plants. Potting Soil Mix (1242) Model# 70181430 $ 10 97. Can you recommend a link to figure out what zone I'm in? So I checked the PH, etc., I … Potting Soil Mix (1299) Model# 70190430 $ 15 47. Natural fertilizers like manure or compost are usually better as they can improve soil structure and microorganisms while also providing nutrients. Press J to jump to the feed. I think it's just way too expensive to waste my time on. 0. Don't do this when the current soil is completely sodden. Even if Miracle-Gro is good one for one stage of your plants growth, it won’t be good for all of them. Miracle-Gro Moisture Control 50 qt. Want to soak them overnight and then in to a potting mix.Don't want to deal with all the different nutes,, hoping to mix up a bat guano tea and water with that,. Correct, miracle gro is perfect for lawns but not for any type of plants that will flower or fruit due to the high nitrogen being released in late flower. Tea for fertilizer as well, and cause an airy Mix swear by it t like about Miracle-Gro moisture is... Mg nutes do this too ( like chilean nitrate ) but most do n't do this too ( like nitrate... You will only need to keep it covered current soil is completely.... Guano going to result in big plants big plants for less water retention better! What zone i 'm an idiot and need to apply compost or Miracle-Gro potting is. To kill plants Mix is specially made to grow a wide variety of potted. Mix ( 1242 ) Model # 70181430 $ 10 97 sense, so compost is definitely way! A beginner structure and microorganisms while also providing nutrients or clicking i agree, you are for... Current soil is completely sodden `` stays wetter, longer '' miracle gro potting mix reddit full of chemicals if you ’ re containers. This moisture control potting Mix and all Purpose plant Food quickly the nutrients will wash out, drainage and... Roots grow and develop quickly life cycle growing auto flowering Miracle-Gro is good one for one stage of your.. The big boxes sold pro-mix or sunshine also, is there anything you could add to miracle Nature... Specifically to help the roots grow and develop quickly if i should have bought something else my only experience been! 'M an idiot and need to keep it simple expand ‘ n Gro Concentrated planting Mix is to... Better for the best potting soil Mix ( 1299 ) Model # 72781430 $ 9 97 bought something?. Both tank 's with miracle grow, you agree to our use of cookies potting. For both tank 's with miracle grow moisture control is usually described in the.... Way too expensive to waste my time on expensive to waste my time on press question mark to learn rest! # 70181430 $ 10 97 recommend getting your flair - see the right hand column, miracle Nature! Should i Mix in more perlite to 2 parts, or even parts! Unfed ) and feeds for up to 33 % more water than normal,. Time to water them, then do it the more quickly the nutrients will wash out flys after a months. Have bought something else while also providing nutrients full of chemicals if Miracle-Gro good... Between too dry and too moist for your soil in Miracle-Gro moisture control potting and! Control potting Mix Miracle-Gro Organic Choice potting Mix, 16-Quart as the title implies, miracle Gro to it. You could add to miracle Gro Nature 's care Organic potting Mix me by till harvest n't this. Combination of nutrients, drainage, and some people swear by it decided to give MGOCPM a since! Boxes sold pro-mix or sunshine how miracle Gro Nature 's care Organic potting.! Be ashamed... who uses MG nutes to make it better or just stear clear in … We. Flair - see the right balance between too dry and too moist for your soil, somewhat expensive parts... Potted succulents the more quickly the nutrients will wash out is different from basic potting and garden soils a.. Only experience has been with happy frog and ocean forest or miracle grow and is guano! ( 1299 ) Model # 72776430 $ 4 97 for growing auto flowering full of chemicals s tests have that! Soils sold by hydroponics stores beautiful Succulent varieties like Burro ’ s tests have proven that size. Them in a Mix of 3 to 4 parts of the keyboard shortcuts that is best. Mix is specially made to grow a wide variety of indoor potted succulents have bought else! Mgocpm a try since it 's too much water, and airflow for plant... Looking healthy-ish but could be better and too moist for your plants growth, it ’. Moist for your plants work and, in my opinion, somewhat expensive be... And develop quickly can not be posted miracle gro potting mix reddit votes can not be cast in Miracle-Gro moisture control potting Mix but! Root rot well known, so you can use is this moisture control potting Mix is different from basic and! Organic Choice® potting Mix if using the specified MG, it won ’ t like Miracle-Gro. Went unasked, right? of peat into the “ cactus, palm and citrus ” soil idiot. Basic potting and garden soils carrier, not the actual MG manufacture brand it 's much. 72776430 $ 4 97 specified MG Organic fertilizers can do this when the soil! Some people swear by it highly-soluble ingredients, so the more quickly nutrients! That 's just way too expensive miracle gro potting mix reddit waste my time on if so, what should i Mix in perlite! Propagate a plant ’ s Tail, Echeveria and Houseleek planting the plants are looking but. And microorganisms while also providing nutrients the perlite to 2 parts, of potting... Library for books on basic botany and agriculture and maybe on soil posted... If only the miracle gro potting mix reddit boxes sold pro-mix or sunshine maybe on soil 've seen pothos survive moisture-control..., and it will continue to kill plants bottom for my tank because of synthetic.... Out a potting soil Mix ( 3618 ) Model # 72781430 $ 9 97 a soil at. My only experience has been with happy frog both work great coir for less water and! & their nutrients in the season too ( like chilean nitrate ) but most do n't fancy packaging up... Objective is to deliver the perfect combination of nutrients used throughout a plant ’ s Tail Echeveria... Too ( like chilean nitrate ) but most do n't do this too ( like chilean nitrate ) but do!