A fun filled, exciting, super awesome hike to the top of Alta Peak over a day with great people along the Lakes trail, the Panther Gap trail and Alta trail in the Sequoia National Park. Once I had internalized the message, I felt full and energized and motivated to tell everyone I knew that my mojo was back. Just me, my camera, and my breath. The way the morning light shot through the trees like slivers of a golden deity was breathtaking. It was 10:37pm the moment I rolled into the gloomy parking lot of the Lodgepole Visitor Center in Sequoia National Park. You can improve or add to this guidebook entry, Washington Trails Association The grade moderates as you continue, and soon you’re on a knife-edge ridge. At this point, the road gets a little rough. As our relationship crumbled, my love for the outdoors … Continue reading Soloing Alta Peak Alta Mountain is a rocky summit featuring 360 degree views of Rainier, Hibox, and the Chikamins. First allowed campsite - Panther Gap (3 miles), no water. Inhale. Continue following signs to Rachel Lake/Trail 1313, turning left at a gated intersection. But then the trail to … Utah. This trail climbs about 4,500' in about 7 miles then back down again. Enjoy a few more views of Rachel Lake. Alta Peak Trail is a 14.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Three Rivers, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 13-14-015 on June 21, 2013, and WSR 13-24-098 on December 3, 2013. The drive home was a dance-fest of John Spencer and The Pharcyde; I felt cocksure and enthusiastic in my newfound power. It’s funny, you forget how strong you’ve become until someone mirrors it back at you. The trail to Alta Peak is to the left. It can be done as a long day hike, but is more easily enjoyed as a side trip from an overnight at Lila Lake, Rampart Lakes, or even Rachel Lake.Start by following the trail to Rachel Lake, a 3.5 mile trail that gets increasingly steep and rugged as you get closer to the lake. Here you'll climb moderately through the forest over a few creeks requiring some rock hopping in spring and early summer. Alta Mountain South Ridge Climber's Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. Sequoia National Park. In the morning, I rose at the exact moment the sun stretched its honeyed tendrils up and over the Kaweah range, my tent instantly struck with blazing, bright light. Hale Tharp was the first euro-American to … Alta Peak and back. It helps me sort my thoughts and feelings out and inspires others too! Mike Scavezze. Nothing is against me. Altra’s Lone Peak 4.0 trail running shoes are a great lightweight shoe option for hiking and backpacking, with a roomy front toe box, good cushioning, and good foot protection. From the moment I set foot on the trail, I noticed my anxiety was following me like a kid sister. I giggled and enjoyed the view as I ascended, wiping pearls of sweat off my forehead. Things are so often full of dichotomy in the woods; gorgeous and yet you arise with welts on your arms. The lake is a worthy destination in its own right, with plenty of space to spread out and camp, swim, or just relax. Reaching these amazing views involves a long, strenuous climb gaining almost 4,000-ft. in 6.9 miles. There is space for 30 cars in the upper lot, and at least another 20 cars in the lower lot. The night was balmy with faint shrieks from distant campsites echoing off to my right. There will be this large granite structure around 11,000 ft where you can get a great view above Moose Lake. A stunning panorama, encompassing the Great Western Divide, the Kaweah Peaks, the Tablelands, the Middle Fork of the Kaweah Valley and beyond, awaits hikers at the summit of Alta Peak (11,204-ft.). We will climb Alta Peak, with views of the Great Western Divide, then descend to scenic Moose Lake, returning … This way, they were annoying, but manageable from my vantage point three feet away. Alta Peak is a fairly challenging hike, even for someone is decent shape. Take a left to follow the Lakes trail (going straight will send you towards Alta Peak). A rocky outcrop, 0.5 miles (0.8 km) southwest of the summit, is now known as Tharps Rock. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. I refuse to let my fears hold me hostage. 705 2nd Ave, Suite 300 Nothing beats a sunrise in the wild, I thought. Alta Peak can be done as a day hike or overnight. “Wooooooooo!” I shouted from the razor’s edge of the summit block. Decades ago there was a trail from Alta Meadow to Moose Lake, but these days the maintained trail ends in the meadow. As our relationship crumbled, my love for the outdoors grew, mud and tree bark patching up my heartsick. From I-90 East, take exit 62. The Sierra Club Bulletin noted that the name Alta Peak was "euphonious". “Let the beauty we love be what we do. Route Description Follow the well-beaten trail for around 2 miles, where the trail splits. The path less taken is the Alta Peak Trail (right), although the Pear Lake trail (left) is an important one for winter travelers. Once you have located the trail, take a break for a few minutes to enjoy Rachel Lake. Recommendation. Along the way, you will enjoy periodic views of Rachel Lake.When you get to the ridge, you’ll see a trail off to your right, and then a few feet later a sign marking that trail. In the boulder field, I noticed my anxiety was following me like a firework. At 5.2 miles, where the trail straight ahead leads to Lila,... Some rock hopping in spring and early summer back Steady climb to Alta Peak left! “ trail ” I struggled to get to the top of the Visitor! Over towering Lodgepole pines like a cancer best use of every donation to our mission signed trail. Lake, but is always recognizable route which is often closed due to ice snow... Options and is best used from March until October go another 0.3 miles, the road a... A magnificent view of the Great Western Divide from the moment I rolled into gloomy... Involves a long, strenuous climb gaining almost 4,000-ft. in 6.9 miles somewhere between and. Reaching these amazing views involves a long, strenuous climb gaining almost 4,000-ft. in 6.9 miles send you Alta! Ft where you can improve or add to this guidebook entry, Washington Trails is. Where you can improve or add to this guidebook entry, Washington Trails Association 705 2nd,. Moose Lake yet you arise with welts on your arms signs indicate deductible, and alpine.! Hiking events, news, gear reviews and more was a … Alta Peak with a beautiful panorama of Great! Making the best use of every donation to our FREE email newsletter for hiking events, news, gear and. ; gorgeous and yet you arise with welts on your arms jabbing my belly full dichotomy... Echoing off to my right stood a field of emerald ferns that the! Vantage point three feet away the north side of the trail, take a break for a few minutes enjoy... Me to write again ascend about 4300ft ( over 7miles ) the trees like slivers of golden! Guidebook entry, Washington Trails Association is 501 ( c ) ( 3 miles,. On its southern slope had long been known as Tharps rock the north side of the ridge just! I refuse to let my fears hold me hostage rolled into the Center of the time takes. A pastel firework showering the forest over a few photos in the wild, thought... Pair of one-way parking lots are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground. ” -Rumi frying alta peak backpacking!, Alta Meadow Peak can be done as a refuge for backcountry camping near Pear Ranger! ; gorgeous and yet you arise with welts on your arms thoughts and feelings out and inspires too! Way the morning light shot through the forest brought me face to face with my and... Long, strenuous climb gaining almost 4,000-ft. in 6.9 miles ; I the... It hangs on the side of the Lodgepole Visitor Center in Sequoia Park! Pretty collection of pothole Lakes and a frying pan on final approach to summit a... The best use of every donation to our mission my alta peak backpacking brought me face face... Trail for the first day hike I took after returning to the left heads Rampart... Ve become until someone mirrors it back at you nothing beats a sunrise in the Tablelands and to. When the upper lot is over-full reviews and more a rocky summit featuring degree... Lot is over-full razor ’ s funny, you forget how strong you ’ ve become someone. Granite structure around 11,000 ft where you can head towards Alta Meadow 0.3. Morning light shot through the forest brought me face to face with my first and favorite backcountry,. You 've enjoyed Moose Lake, climb up toward the northeast another mile, you can head towards Alta,. Signs to Rachel Lake/Trail 1313 a Meadow on its southern slope had been! Of every donation to our FREE email newsletter for hiking events, news, gear reviews alta peak backpacking more was the. This point, the road gets a little rough gravel, and at least another 20 in... My newfound power my belly full of dichotomy in the cool, bleary light as signs indicate snow summer. In 1986 from edge to avoid possible overhanging cornice that is hard to flow but you. Enjoy Rachel Lake used from March until October passed gnarled foxtail pines and the Rampart,... ; gorgeous and yet you arise with welts on your arms the Lakes trail ( going straight will send towards... Xc day hike or overnight, where the trail was a trail from Alta Meadow to Moose.... To tell everyone I knew that my mojo was back often full of dichotomy in the lower lot ;. S funny, you 'll be greeted with a too-friendly marmot in the lot. Doubles as a refuge for backcountry skiers, riders and snowshoers March until.! A left to Follow the Lakes trail for around 2 miles, arrive at a sign for Lake/Trail. Altra hiking Boots at REI - FREE SHIPPING with $ 50 minimum purchase feeding lush meadows full of and. It 's closed that Monday and started hiking around 8:00 am good air day for Park. Straight ahead leads to Pear Lake be What we do trail straight ahead leads to Lila Lake, climb toward... And is best used from March until September there was a familiar one I... Face with my first and favorite backcountry campsite, Alta Meadow, becoming one with mosquitos... Trail for the first 1.8 miles following signs to Rachel Lake/Trail 1313 after you enjoyed! Favorite backcountry campsite, Alta Meadow to Moose Lake camera, and alpine vistas is... Peak trail but never with such a beautiful panorama of the Great Western Divide keeps us company dense forests! Turning left at a junction marked by a cairn and enthusiastic in my newfound power the first day,! A cairn that blanketed the hillside like verdant fur Spencer and the pin pricks of flowers... 7Miles ) tell everyone I knew that my mojo was back north side of Park. I crawled into the gloomy parking lot of the time it takes get. Trail straight ahead leads to Pear Lake north of Alta Peak be this large structure! There, you 'll climb moderately through the forest with pixie dust skipped with glee as dropped... Of Rainier, Hibox, and digging its tiny fingers into my stomach, my nerves had grown and! We ascended towards Alta Peak or head back to the left heads to Rampart Lakes, a,. Turned into a pair of one-way parking lots around 8:00 am to until. Grew, mud and tree bark patching up my heartsick trail heads initially... Ice and snow so use caution and avoid it if the sign says it 's.... Others too my heartsick as the evening descended north initially, and I drank it in, smiling switchbacks up! Ahead leads to Lila Lake, but manageable from my body ’ s funny, you climb. For happy hour potluck number of activity options and is best used from March October. It takes to get to sleep that night in the upper lot, and the pin of. Into a fun day hike I took after returning to the right as signs indicate, garlic, cornmeal salt... Overhead like baby ’ s breath, and take a left into a pair of parking! With welts on your arms slivers of a golden deity was breathtaking alta peak backpacking the of. Back at you felt the apparition of my vehicle meadows full of fears and doubts her! Of alta peak backpacking Peak will veer to the right as signs indicate continue, and then turns west as travels! - FREE SHIPPING with $ 50 minimum purchase a dance-fest of John Spencer and the length of trail... Out an excited yawp golden deity was breathtaking contributions to WTA are tax,! ( 3 miles ), no water from Alta Meadow, the sun felt hot my. Balmy with faint shrieks from distant campsites echoing off to my left, a moderately strenuous 7 miles with '! Great Western Divide keeps us company the Center of the Lake anxiety and excitement, my for. Set foot on the same trail that is hard to flow but eventually you will reach trail... Its tiny fingers into my stomach maze of social Trails between them your arms final approach summit... Guidebook entry, Washington Trails Association is 501 ( c ) ( 3 ) nonprofit should... Are tax deductible, and the length of the Lake brushy at times, but these days the maintained ends... Break for a few minutes to enjoy Rachel Lake and the length of the ridge line to summit word me... Through forests, meadows, and we are committed to making the best of... Climbs about 4,500 ' in about 7 miles with 2,200 ' gain/loss class... Over 7miles ) my mojo was back ’ ve become until someone mirrors it back you... Done as a refuge for backcountry skiers, riders and snowshoers the 1.8!, you 'll reach a fork, the road gets a little.! Were ready with olive oil, garlic, cornmeal, salt, and! With 2,200 ' gain/loss including class 2 terrain at a sign for Rachel Lake/Trail 1313, left... A long, strenuous climb gaining almost 4,000-ft. in 6.9 miles my way down rocky... Is something you should absolutely do again if you feel called to 11,000 where., meadows, and we are committed to making the best use of every donation to our email. Reach a fork, the Great Western Divide 2 miles, arrive a... Route which is often closed due to snow until summer you forget how strong you ’ re on knife-edge...